UKC

Petzl Hirundos vs Sama vs...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 01 May 2016
Sick of doubling back my renegade pro and slowly realising I never use the front loops.

Probably outlive the nuclear apocalypse so I won't try and justify it by saying 'it's a bit frayed'.

Anyway.

I tried on a new Hirundos (and sitta but I'm not minted) and liked it. Then realised the Sama looks identical but £35. Any ideas why?

Anything else to consider? ( light, funky colours, 4 really good big loops, elastic legloops, thin wide straps, <£75?)
 wbo 01 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer: because it's on special? It's not normally that price. I will say I have an old style orange Hirundos and really like it for pretty much everything. I don't miss adjustable legs but that's your decision

Morgan Woods 01 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I'm a big fan of my Hirundos. Half the weight and volume of my old Corax and nearly as comfortable for all but the longest hanging belays. Don't miss the faff of all the extra buckles at all.
 whenry 01 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

The current version of the Sama has smaller and stiffer rear gear loops than the previous version. I've replaced my harness recently, having had an older version of the Sama, and didn't get a new one because the gear loops on the new Sama were useless for holding a trad rack.

I went with a Climbing Technology Onsight - about £40, and that ticks all the boxes you're asking about.
 TobyA 01 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Edelrid Leaf is worth considering http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7449 It is very light and packs down very small. Comfy and has been fine for most of my climbing for over a year now, lasting fine too.
OP neuromancer 25 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:
Well that was bloody annoying.

I bought a Leaf - I'm a 31inch waist which is slap bang in the middle of the "Small".

And I can barely get the leg loops over my thighs it's so tight. Also, the bar that links the leg loops is really short, so I can't do a proper squat in the harness. Also, the rear loops are identical to the ones on the Petzl Hirundos that everyone complains about.

I can't return it (even unused and tagged) - so I guess it's gonna have to go on UKC and I'll just buy a hirundos like I meant to in the first place. They're only £58 in the end.
Post edited at 23:23
 ChrisBrooke 25 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:
Where have you seen it for £35?
Edit: just noticed the date of the OP. Don't worry about replying
Post edited at 23:37
OP neuromancer 26 May 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Epic TVs shop. It's a bit more now.
 galpinos 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Why can't you send it back?
In reply to galpinos:

Harnesses are 'safety goods' and they can't resell them as they don't know I haven't compromised it's safety. That's the letter of the law, tho maybe some places would be flexible.
 whenry 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Distance selling regulations don't exclude PPE - presuming you bought the harness online, you have the right to return it.
 galpinos 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:
That's not the letter of the the law, that's BS. They are covered by distance selling regulations.

Edit - What whenry said
Post edited at 10:56
In reply to galpinos:

Well I'd love to stand corrected. Their terms state:

"Return Exceptions
Due to certain provisions of the Labour Code, we are absolutely unable to refund or exchange any kind of personal protective equipment. Personal protective equipment includes snow and climbing gear such as slings, ropes, harnesses, carabiners, awnings, helmets, descenders, blockers, cleats, pulleys, belts, ice screws, camming devices, quickdraws and anything else designed to be used for personal protection or protection from falls. We are unable to accept returns or provide refunds for any personal safety equipment purchased from EpicTV Shop because (as stated in article Article R233-155 of the Labour Code) it's illegal to resell used safety products. And once something has left our warehouse there's just no way for us to tell whether it's been used or not."
 galpinos 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Ah, well, I assume they are referring to the French Code du Travail and I've no idea what it contains* but I would have thought that they would be bound by the Directive of Consumer Rights (2011/83/EC) and, as far as I am aware, PPE is NOT excluded.

*That there is a national code that precludes the resale of PPE, doesn't mean they don't have to give you a refund under the Directive of Consumer Rights, they just don't want to lose money (obviously).
In reply to galpinos:

I'll try fighting it.

Anyway - aside from that, having looked i suspect the next size up will be too large on the waist. Maybe I just have legs too big for lightweight harnesses.

Has anyone else had one to compare to a hirundos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...