UKC

Cycling routes with a trailer Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NorthernGrit 01 May 2016
I'm just planning activity options for a visit to Skye at the end of the month, staying in Elgol.

I might have the opportunity to borrow a 2 seat kids bike trailer which might be helpful for getting a 2 and 5 year old around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for routes anywhere on the island with suitable terrain for carting a trailer with two kids in it around?

Thanks.
 BnB 01 May 2016
In reply to NorthernGrit:

On the positive side, you couldn't have picked a better view, but sadly there is hardly a less convenient base from which to explore the island. But Skye rewards those who dig deeper than just ticking the Old Man of Storr and the Fairy Pools, stunning though those might be. Visit the nearby Spar cave at Glasnakille and the lovely shoreline at Kilmarie. Walk the hills around Torrin which I think is superior to Sligachan or Glen Brittle as a launching point into the mountains. Trek from Kilmarie to the beach at Camasunary. Lots of other outings further afield. The ferry at Gleng/Kylerhea is exciting for kids and you can cross as foot passengers and then take a stroll around Glenelg.

As for terrain or quiet roads suitable for pulling a cycle trailer, presumably on your bike, good luck with that!!
OP NorthernGrit 01 May 2016
In reply to BnB:

Hi, Thanks. It's not my first visit to the island, nor Elgol for that matter so I do appreciate the remote location.

It's specifically the trailer suitable trails I'm thinking about because as your final line implies - I'm struggling to think of suitable trails but there might be amazing days out to be had that I don't know about (Raasay is really the only one on my list at the moment). There's no point in me lugging a trailer up there not to use it.
 Mike Lates 01 May 2016
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Raasay was going to be my only suggestion as quiet enough/trailer friendly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...