UKC

Lakes conditions - Borrowdale?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 02 May 2016
Got end of this week off, Wed-Sun and thinking of Lakes for a change, poss Borrowdale for a few days as alternative to the usual Langdale. Looking at crags like Bleak How, Quayfoot, Sheps maybe, Trowborrow enroute maybe. Are they all quick drying?

Any reason to think area won't be in comdition this week?

Also what is best campsite option? Is their alternative to Grange? Need a pub and showers.
 daniel_c_baron 02 May 2016
In reply to Owen W-G:

I climbed at White Ghyll on saturday and it was bone dry, it rained sunday but looking at the forecast for the week ahead i'd think they'd be dry. Hope this is helpful
 daniel_c_baron 02 May 2016
In reply to Owen W-G:

Oh and Chapel House farm is a good site
 tmawer 02 May 2016
In reply to Owen W-G:

Trowbarrow very quick drying, most of Quayfoot and Shepherds clean and so pretty quick to dry; Bleakhow a bit more mossy and gets less sun so more problematic. Castle Rock south crag, Bramcrag quarry and Yew Crags Buttermere all fairly close, clean and fast to dry generally. Not sure about best campsite.
 pec 02 May 2016
In reply to Owen W-G:
Shepherds is very fast drying, much of Quayfoot also, Bleak How probably takes a bit longer.
The nearest campsite for a pub is the one at Rosthwaite a few hundred yards south of the Sca Fell Inn (5 mins walk maximum) on the left as the road swings right.
It has no electric light or hot water (in the basin taps) but does have hot showers though not free. You can also walk to the Langstrath Country Inn at Stonethwaite from this site in about 10 mins.
I believe you can also camp at the Borrowdale Youth Hostel which probably has better facilities and does have its own bar. Both pubs above are about 10 mins walk from here.
Post edited at 20:47
 Mark Eddy 02 May 2016
In reply to pec:

I too thought of Quayfoot as a quick drying venue, that is until a visit last summer. Had allowed a day of drying after rain and still it felt close to unclimbable, certainly unenjoyable climbing anyway. I forget the route we were looking at but was one of the trade routes so thought it would be fairly clean, but sadly not so. Shepherds is a good call and very likely to be in good condition this week as the forecast is dry and warm-ish
 John Kelly 03 May 2016
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Whole of borrowdale one big west facing forest zone, perennially damp
on the other hand free draining, south facing, sun kissed langdale crags dry rapidly
Just saying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...