UKC

Repairing climbing shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CameronH 06 May 2016
Hi, I have a pair of Anasazi pink climbing shoes which are in decent condition other than holes in each toe (through the rubber and material). I was just wondering if anyone knows a good way of repairing shoes in this state, or will I have to buy new ones?

Thanks,
Cameron
 pebbles 06 May 2016
In reply to CameronH:

https://www.resoles.co.uk/ do a good job - will cost you around £50 for a resole and rand repair. if youve holes in the toes, the soles probably ready to be redone too.
In reply to CameronH:

If there are holes through the material as well then you have left it too late to get a good result from a re-sole. This is because the re-soler will have yo put a new rand toe-cap on and it is likely you will lose the original shape of the shoe.

In future, stop using the shoes before this happens, usually when you are close to being down to the rand. this will get you a better return to a new shoe after the re-sole. Also use Torquil at Llanberis Resoles;

http://www.llanberisresoles.com/

He does the best job of re-soling to my mind and its your shoes that make the most difference to your climbing!
 Mick Ward 06 May 2016
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

> Also use Torquil at Llanberis Resoles...

Totally agree. Superb work from someone who really cares about what he's doing.

Mick

pebbles 06 May 2016
> If there are holes through the material as well then you have left it too late to get a good result from a re-sole.

ooh I dunno - I'v had shoes repaired in this condition before and got a decent result. conversely, I'v sent them off (not to feet first) with only mild wear and had them returned beautifully resoled but with the toe now completely rounded off. I reckon it all depends how much the person doing the resoling understands climbing shoes. (which is why Torquil is also good). Also, I'm guessing that since cameron is asking about this he's a relatively new climber and so his shoes wont be highly technical anyway.
In reply to pebbles:

Fair enough, I'm just going on personal experience and what others say (Often resolers say to send shoes back before you get holes in them)
 pebbles 06 May 2016

I know ...but having done that once and got them back buggered up (nicely rounded off) I'm not risking it again - I could have gone on using that pair for a while longer, instead of which theyre now only useful for lending to beginners. But I HAVe had loads of pairs redone once theyve had holes in the toe (yeah, I know, must be my footwork) and theyve come back done really well.
 SenzuBean 06 May 2016
In reply to CameronH:
Where are you based? If in London I can give you details of a freelance climbing shoe repairer who you can meet in person.

He repaired my shoes which also had holes - perfectly. Although he used a slightly harder rubber so I only use them for indoor training rather than outdoor performance.
Post edited at 10:30
In reply to pebbles:

Interesting... I don't really get how they came back rounded off if they put a new piece of sole rubber on the shoes. I usually find that once shoes are prime for a re-sole they are right at the end of being prime for climbing in. Yes, you can still climb in them for a while longer but their performance goes down hill quickly.

Guess I should add in the disclaimer that I tend to use resoled shoes indoors or on easier climbs/for seconding.

This reminds me I really need to send a couple of pairs off.
 DampRice 06 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
If this is a certain Italian bloke I can also really recommend him. Did an awesome job on a pair of miuras and some 5.10 pinks. Only uses Vibram rubber unfortunately but has made little to no difference to the excellent performance of the pinks.
Post edited at 13:28
 SenzuBean 06 May 2016
In reply to DampRice:

> If this is a certain Italian bloke I can also really recommend him. Did an awesome job on a pair of miuras and some 5.10 pinks. Only uses Vibram rubber unfortunately but has made little to no difference to the excellent performance of the pinks.

That's the guy! The shoes even came back in a little silk-like bag with his face and name printed on heheh
 pebbles 06 May 2016

they had a rand replace - but so have other pairs of mine which came back still in good shape. I always get a little hole in front of each the toe at the same time as the sole wears thru ...think I tend to swivel my foot quite a lot
OP CameronH 06 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Yes please! I live quite near London, that sounds really good, thank you.
OP CameronH 06 May 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Thanks, that looks good
OP CameronH 06 May 2016

Cheers, sounds like a good service, I'll check it out
 SenzuBean 06 May 2016
In reply to CameronH:

> Yes please! I live quite near London, that sounds really good, thank you.

Okay - I'll PM over the details
OP CameronH 08 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Thank you, that would be great

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...