UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: New UPF 50+ Ensenada Hoody™.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 06 May 2016
Outdoor Research, 9 kb

Sun protection for the beach, trail or crag.

Read more
 FreshSlate 06 May 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Surely most clothing provides UV protection. Never felt to need to sunscreen under my t-shirt when it's hot.
 nutme 09 May 2016
In reply to FreshSlate:
It's not about heat, but exposure to sun radiation. It can be -20C on the mountain, but if you are close to equator and it's clear sky with sun is in zenith you can get nasty sun burns reasonably fast. Speaking from personal experience as skier.

Lycra and nylon are much better to protect from sun radiation. They are UPF 50+ except ones you can see boobs throw. Cotton t-shirt is normally at UPF 25 - 50 depending how thick it is.
Post edited at 01:03
 FreshSlate 09 May 2016
In reply to nutme:
Sorry you're right, I mean sunny not hot, the picture looking like Kalymnos (Greece, Sea level) sent me straight to that word. Besides, who's only wearing that hoody at -20? Im sure your insultation on a mountain is providing much more protection anyway.

Okay so lets get off the mountain, so if a cotton T-shirt is 25 upf which blocks 96% of the sun, and 50 upf hoody sold by OR blocks 98% of the sun, who gives a shit?
Post edited at 17:38
 AlanLittle 09 May 2016
In reply to FreshSlate:

I remember coming back from the Alps years ago and being surprised to find my arms and torso tanned. I had been wearing a helly all the time while I was walking around on glaciers, but it would seem a thin layer of knitted polypropylene doesn't stop much UV.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...