UKC

Aonach Beag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 09 May 2016
Much snow left?

Thinking of ascent from Glen Nevis on Wednesday. Forecast promising.
 Mark Bull 09 May 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I would expect there are still some large patches above 1000m, but they will be very soft in current temperatures. If you are descending SW from the summit, beware that crossing either the Allt Coire Giuthsachan or the Allt Coire nan Laogh low down can be tricky if they are full with snow melt.
 Dave Hewitt 09 May 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
Different area, but from what I saw on Ben Lawers yesterday I'd agree with what Mark says. Did a figure-of-eight thing involving crossing the north side of Lawers to get at An Stuc, then coming back over the main summit via its north ridge. Quite large patches above 1050m on the north side and some awkward elongated strips below that. I didn't take an axe or even a pole, and was OK to sneak through various gaps and cross easy-angled patches, but it was a bit borderline in places. The snow itself was soft but had a fringe of brittle half-melted icy stuff that made it awkward to get on to the steeper patches. Beinn Ghlas at the start and Meall Corranaich at the end were both fine - scarcely stepped in any snow on either of those.

I'd imagine that the big Lochaber hills would be similar, and anything north- or east-facing high up would merit an axe on the sack even if you don't end up using it. The Glen Nevis side will be much less snowy but there's no harm in taking an axe just in case. Having said that, it is pretty warm again today and stuff will be coming off at a rate of knots.
Post edited at 12:16
OP Flinticus 09 May 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks guys. Hope the sun today and tomorrow do good work in removing what's there.

Found the web cams sight.
OP Flinticus 12 May 2016
In reply to Mark Bull:

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Back now. Still a sizeable snow field on Aonach Beag, no sign of the summit cairn. Brought crampons and used them as the snow had a wet layer then was firm.

Trickiest bit was that a snow field covered an upper section of the descent path to the bealach. Old hardish snow. Too steep for my crampons so I had to free - range down until the path re-emerged.

The walk out was jaw dropping stunning. No problem with water: the terrain was largely dry. Seriously had my mouth open in wonder.

OP Flinticus 12 May 2016
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

See above
 crustypunkuk 12 May 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I was on the ring of steall yesterday and it was a stunner. I was particularly glad of that wee breeze coming in from the east. I did briefly think about heading up the aonachs or the Ben, just so I could see what the view was like from the summit for the first time, but stuck with my initial plan. I didn't see another soul on the hill all day until getting back down to polldubh. Heavenly.
OP Flinticus 12 May 2016
In reply to crustypunkuk:

I camped over Tuesday at the ruins at Steall and got up about 6am. Soon met a guy heading over to the far four of The Mamores. That was it until I got back to Steall and saw that guy walking back! (He didn't see me as I was still a few minutes away up the hill.

I even took a very brief dip in the Water of Nevis after testing it with my feet!
Removed User 12 May 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> I camped over Tuesday at the ruins at Steall and got up about 6am. Soon met a guy heading over to the far four of The Mamores. That was it until I got back to Steall and saw that guy walking back! (He didn't see me as I was still a few minutes away up the hill.

> I even took a very brief dip in the Water of Nevis after testing it with my feet!

Hope we're going to see a trip report on Scottish Hills.......
OP Flinticus 12 May 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Probably not: I largely gave that up when Flint could no longer walk with me.

Maybe I'll start again when our new pup is old enough to go out.
 Joak 12 May 2016
In reply to crustypunkuk:

> I didn't see another soul on the hill all day until getting back down to polldubh. Heavenly.

I went along the Aonach Eagach ridge today and only met one other guy coming the other way. Near the west end a fell runner went whizzing past on Stob Coire Leith, and again when he returned from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh. Wall tae wall sunshine and solitude are not words you would normally associate with Glen Coe. They did today. Like you said, Heavenly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...