UKC

Bear and Wolf precautions, Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Louis Kennedy 11 May 2016
Hey guys,
later this year I'm going climbing in Norway! However it's come to my attention that I'll be in bear/ wolf territory.
I was wondering what other people have carried out there in the past (bear bangers, air horns, bear mace, etc.)
If bear mace and bangers, could I buy these in Norway?
Thanks in advance!
Louis
 abr1966 11 May 2016
In reply to Louis Kennedy:

Depends where you are going?
If you are camping staying on sites is fine, if you are going to Svalbard it's another matter altogether!
I'd be more worried about Mosquitos and other bugs than bears!
Just for reference I used to live and work in Norway! Great place, enjoy your trip...
 Ban1 11 May 2016

My uncle in Canada wears a bear bell on his hip.

I think the attacks come when you spook the bear or get in between them and the Cubs.

Wolfs however I have no idea.
 toad 11 May 2016
In reply to Ban1:

Isn't the saying that brown bear droppings contain fish bones and fruit stones, whereas grizzly droppings contains small bells?
 TobyA 11 May 2016
In reply to Louis Kennedy: I think there are more bears in Finland than in Norway and in 16 years of living, hiking, climbing and cycling there I never heard of anyone taking measure against bear. There has been one death (a runner) in about the last 150 years.

Consider yourself honoured if you see a wolf, they aren't interested in you at all.

Dauphin 11 May 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=eBSCQNjp-Ws&

Very friendly. Maybe if your lucky you get nibbled to death.

D
 pneame 11 May 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

I'm extremely sorry that I clicked on that
 wbo 11 May 2016
In reply to Louis Kennedy: outside Svalbard noone takes anything . Non issue.

cb294 12 May 2016

Only relevant in Svalbard,

CB
cb294 12 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Wolves have been hunted almost to extinction in the North (whereever there are Reindeer), slightly better chances to see one in middle Sweden (Värmland).

Surprisingly, there are now more wolves in Germany than in Scandinavia, and of course even more in Eastern Europe. The best places in Europe to see bears and wolves in the wild probably are Slovakia (Low Tatra) and the Northern Romanian mountains.

CB
 d_b 12 May 2016

Trolls are a bigger problem but you should be OK so long as you stick to daylight.
 nufkin 12 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> so long as you stick to daylight.

And fords
Louis Kennedy 12 May 2016
In reply to abr1966:

thanks and do you know where I could get OS style maps. I've been looking but haven't found a thing.
 d_b 12 May 2016

It's not hard to get paper maps out there, but if you want to buy them up front the map shop are very good:

http://www.themapshop.co.uk/

For browsing and casual planning you can do worse than http://www.norgeskart.no/ - a great zoomable map, which is also available as a smartphone app.
 David Alcock 12 May 2016

Just steer away from 5 star hotels and film production crews and you'll be fine. Dunno about the wolves though.
 SturlaS 12 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

You can also print (save pdf) from norgeskart.no (new feature this year).
Push the print icon and choose "Lag turkart for utskrift".
 d_b 12 May 2016
In reply to SturlaS:
Does it have an option to print with a grid? That was the biggest weakness I found when I stitched and printed a load of screen grabs a couple of years ago.

[edit] Just managed to get it to work. Looks like it does.
Post edited at 21:27
 Mark Collins 12 May 2016
In reply to Ban1:

> My uncle in Canada wears a bear bell on his hip.

...and by a happy coincidence so do climbers (hexes)
 Dave Garnett 12 May 2016

Bear bangers? Is that special sausages you can distract them with? Or sausages made out of bear that you eat when approached by bears in an almost certainly futile attempt to convince them they are the prey species?
 wbo 12 May 2016
In reply to Louis Kennedy: if you have the options of looking at norgeskart.no or the app., use the browser /website. I find the app pretty poor and lacking functionality.

Where and when are you going?
 pec 12 May 2016

I was there for 6 weeks last summer without any sign of a bear or wolf to be had. In fact we only had midges on one campsite but we did see a white tailed sea eagle.
 joe.wahab 12 May 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Made me chuckle!
 Wild Isle 13 May 2016

Some advice coming from Canada where wolves and bears are a fact of life. Bear bells are ridiculous. Nothing screams 'rookie' than a bear bell. If you're concerned about startling a bear (e.g.: in dense undergrowth) then use a loud authoritative call with your own voice - think Attenborough watching chimps scare off lions. But by in large bears are a non issue - I can't speak for Norway but if they've survived this long in over-populated Europe I suspect they know to keep well out of the way of humans. The main thing is to keep your food secured and avoid stinky foods like fish and meats. Bears have no interest in oats or dehydrated beans, rice etc...

As for wolves - it was long the lore that there was no real recorded attack by a wolf on a person other than the odd tale of a old, sick wolf.. bla bla bla. But gradually in high use areas wolves are becoming more aggressive in trying to steal food. Same advice goes - don't bring fish or meat into wolf habitat. But unless there is a posted warning it is highly unlikely a wolf is going to choose you to rob of your goodies.

As you'd expect, if you have an encounter with any wildlife read their body language. Often what on the surface looks threatening is in fact defensive. Yes you may have to be prepared to fight for your life but that's chance in a gazillion. More likely you need to adopt an assertive posture and calmly move away.

Have a great trip. When you;re ready come to British Columbia where you can really see these animals in the wild.
 TobyA 13 May 2016
In reply to Wild Isle:

> As for wolves - it was long the lore that there was no real recorded attack by a wolf on a person other than the odd tale of a old, sick wolf.. bla bla bla.

Actually there are surprisingly many http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/wolfrecovery/27/ but its hardly on a par to risks like getting in a car, or crossing a road!
 summo 13 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> Actually there are surprisingly many http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/wolfrecovery/27/ but its hardly on a par to risks like getting in a car, or crossing a road!

also every year, some hunters and mushroom / berry pickers spook a bear and get a semi mauling.

For OP, it real depends on exactly where you go. Many parts have no bears or wolves at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...