UKC

New Double Ropes - Mixing a Serenity and Genesis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scorpia97 14 May 2016
Looking into replacing my 60m Mammut Genesis 8.5mm ropes and not sure whether to go for the same again, pheonix's, or one Serenity and a Genesis?

The reason for considering a mix of serenity and genesis is I have from time to time used one of the genesis's as a single (I know they aren't rated) in situations where there is a very low risk of a fall i.e: glacier travel, easy ridge routes, low grade climbs etc. Has any one tried combining a genesis and serenity for regular use as doubles?

I need the ropes to last a while, so durability is important, my main uses in this order are: Trad, Alpine, Mixed, Ice, cragging/sport. Other ropes owned include a 70m single 10.2ish, 30m 8mm glacier line.
 HeMa 15 May 2016
In reply to scorpia97:

Mix and match does work, but sometimes the difference in sizes and character causes problems.

So if you're looking for durability, just get two Serenities and pay the weight premium....
 TobyA 15 May 2016
In reply to scorpia97:

> Has any one tried combining a genesis and serenity for regular use as doubles?

Yes, I've got exactly that combo and have used them together many times with absolutely no problems at all. I see the modern Serenity is called 8.7. The one I got was called 8.9 (for this review http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3765 ) so presumably they are even closer in size now. I've also used a Beal iceline and Beal Joker together and although they differ in size a bit more, had no problems with that either.

I sadly found my serenity has small coreshot in it recently so needs to be chopped in half. I've chopped a few metres of both ends previously, but it has had a tonne of use since 2011 so has done amazingly good service. Nice rope, although like I said in that original review, its dry treatment has always been noticeably less efficient than the Beal and Edelrid ones.
 BnB 15 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds like the Serenity is more durable than other triple rated ropes if you've had that much use out of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...