UKC

salomon product issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi

Having owned 2 pairs of Salomon trail shoes for both running and walking I have found that the durability is just not as good as I expected.

The main problem I have had is the sole unit ungluing plus general wear taking its toll much quicker than I expected.

Then I looked at my climbing buddy’s Salomon £120 walking boots and they were properly ruined: lace eyelets broken, split seams, sole lifting away from boot, ect. They were only six month old used about every other weekend.

In fairness the Solomon shoes I own were super comfy out of the box and perform very well when they hold together.

Has anyone else had a simalar experience from Salomon products?
 LastBoyScout 16 May 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

> The main problem I have had is the sole unit ungluing plus general wear taking its toll much quicker than I expected.

I've had 3 pairs of Salomon shoes (Exit Low 2000) and in all 3 pairs the sole started coming off before anything else broke or wore out.

Come to think of it, I had 4 pairs, as one pair were replaced under warranty when the sole wore out prematurely.

> In fairness the Salomon shoes I own were super comfy out of the box and perform very well when they hold together.

Agreed.
ultrabumbly 16 May 2016
I get through quite a lot of footwear. I learned to live with the fact that you can't expect the same sort of longevity that we used to expect from walking boots. That being said I have had some models that seem to die very quickly and it doesn't seem to be footfall that causes it but that they aren't always well designed in terms of the abuse the outsole might receive.

I'd say Salomon seem to be one of the better brands across the range but I chanced a couple of pairs from Sports Direct that were less than £30 each. They are looking quite distressed after only a couple of hundred miles. Comparatively, the Ultra Mids (X or 2 can't remember exact model) I got last year are holding up very well. I think much of it is to do with them having a very clean/featureless exterior so they don't catch much on rocks or when bashing through heather. There was one boot last year that went straight to sale by most retailers as they proved to be very bad quality wise. It wasn't the Quest 2 (which I am really happy with for when I wear a boot proper)but one model or two below that.

Outstanding life I have had out of trail shoes has come from a pair of Adidas Terrex and a pair of New Balance. But I have also had models from those companies that haven't lasted so well.

A major problem in footwear is that by the time you find something that is both comfortable, durable and light the range has changed a little and it might not be so any more allowing you to get a few pairs of the latest iteration and get the same experience. Nearly everyone I know says good things about the Innov8 shoes esp. the Roclites but the fit doesn't suit me. There seems to be good consistency between revisions though from what other people say.
Post edited at 09:51
 wbo 16 May 2016
In reply to pail_the_northerner: I've been pretty happy with mine. I'd be curious how many miles you're putting through them. I Got months out of my last speed roses and inreckon I'd qualify as a heavy user.

Re. Uppers falling apart. I've noticed that if you hoik about on peat a lot you will kill uppers a lot faster than you'll get through mids or soles. I think it rots out fabric uppers

ultrabumbly 16 May 2016
In reply to wbo:

I don't think continental manufacturers have slurping bogs as a design criteria and all of that pulling rather than flexing isn't something that is engineered for
 wbo 16 May 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner: it's not glamorous.

But I've seen it for years - I used to run a lot (daily) on Wimbledon common and when that bogged up running shoe uppers and stitching would soon stat to disintegrate

markAut 16 May 2016

Used to buy Salomon approach shoes as I found them to be very comfortable however I had exactly the same experience as you. My usage was for general day footwear, so nothing more extreme than pavements and the office for the most part.

I'd give shoes a couple of months before the sole went enough to let water in, and about 8 months before they were clown shoes. There was plenty of tread left at this time. I've lost all loyalty to Salomon now.

Currently got an excellent pair of Scarpas which are in great condition after a year or more.
sounds like its likely a product of the whole throw away society. still i guess we are lucky that the shoe market is very competative and there are plenty of options these days, i think i'll plug for some scarpa's or la sportiva's this summer.

if their boots are anything to go by then its fair to say those italians know their stuff.
 NottsRich 16 May 2016

I've got a couple of pairs of XA Pros. I bought a pair and it fit so well that I bought another pair straight away. I regret it as after not long (perhaps 3 months?) of gentle use (5km in the dry/dust once or twice a week) they started falling apart. The second set not long after that. Needless to say I'll not be buying Salomon shoes again as I gather I'm not the only one to have this problem!
 mattck 16 May 2016
I seem to be one of very few with nothing but great experiences from my Salomons.

Current pair of X Ultra Mids saw me through a whole summer of instructing in 2014 and are now doing me well living in the Peak, climbing or hiking several times a week. Don't know how they've lasted so long, being used so thoroughly.

Have to say, all the negativity surrounding them is making me weary on what to purchase when mine do eventually give way. How are their warranty department?
Post edited at 20:01
 Phil1919 16 May 2016

I posted about a month ago about a pair of Salomon trail shoes. The sole unit became unglued after about 9 months, after not a whole lot of use. Certainly wouldn't buy them again. I bought them in Scotland and didn't keep the receipt. I got a pair of Boreals from a local shop this time, which I'm pleased with.....so far.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...