UKC

Car hire in Canada?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Payne 16 May 2016
I'm heading to Canada this summer and need ti hire a car that I will be able to take into the US as well. We're flying in to Montreal, so need to get a car from there. I've tried loads of rental companies and the prices are all ridiculous, anywhere between 3-4 times of what I could get a similar car for in the uk during the same time frame. I'm looking at a large vehicle, like a dodge caravan or something with 7 seats as we'll be moving around a lot and I don't want to have to constantly be struggling to squeeze everything in to a compact.

Am i missing something or i car hire just really expensive in Canada.
 philipivan 16 May 2016
In reply to Phil Payne:

Have you tried rentawreck if they are still going? If you are there for a while get a taxi into the city and pickup a car as there is a big premium for hiring in airport.

Last time we went (kayaking) we booked the smallest possible car which they never have in and we were given a few upgrade to a 7 seater people carrier. This has worked a couple of times. If you do end up with a small one they are likely to gave plenty of spare big ones😀
 philipivan 16 May 2016
In reply to Phil Payne:

Plan b for Montreal is to fly to new York which is potentially cheaper and hire there and drove which may also be cheaper. Check you're allowed to cross the border with the hire car first! It's not a massive drive by American terms
Phil Payne 16 May 2016
In reply to philipivan:

Flights booked month go, so no chance of changing. Should have checked hire car prices at the time, but so used to cheap car rental in Europe, never thought to check.
 dsh 16 May 2016
In reply to Phil Payne:

It's just expensive in North America. New York wouldn't have saved you much money if any. I'd go with one of the big companies, shouldn't have any cross border problems and they have locations everywhere incase of problems. Small companies don't offer significant savings and are usually more hassle. Don't waste your holiday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...