UKC

Kouba tricams on wire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Landy_Dom 17 May 2016
Any good?

Anyone have any experience of them?

Is the company to be trusted as much as UK brands?

Cheers.

Dom.
 SenzuBean 17 May 2016
In reply to Landy_Dom:

A quick look shows they don't do a pink one. Therefore with those you can't join the pink tri-cam fan club. :/
OP Landy_Dom 17 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
But I already have a camp pink and red

I like the idea of wire as opposed to nylon and I'm not keen on the spirol pins used on the camp ones. Does anyone know what the pins are like on the Kouba ones?
Post edited at 19:52
 SenzuBean 17 May 2016
In reply to Landy_Dom:

> But I already have a camp pink and red

whew!

> I like the idea of wire as opposed to nylon and I'm not keen on the spirol pins used on the camp ones. Does anyone know what the pins are like on the Kouba ones?

I have no experience with the kouba ones - but I'd imagine that the wire might make them harder to get into camming mode, a bit like the wired BD hexes (?)

What are you looking at them for out of interest?

SDM 17 May 2016
In reply to Landy_Dom:

Personally I would stick with the Camp ones.

In some placements, the Kouba ones work as well as the Camp ones but they are more fiddly to place. There are some placements where the Camp ones go in easily but the same size Kouba won't sit at all. I have yet to find a placement where the reverse is true. They are also harder than the Camp ones to remove and can't be used passively if you run out of nuts.
 Dell 18 May 2016
In reply to SDM:

I think the newest versions of these can now be used passively.
OP Landy_Dom 18 May 2016
In reply to Dell:

I've ordered the first 3 sizes. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Dom.
 GarethSL 18 May 2016
In reply to Landy_Dom:

These are identical to my 'ViaMont' tricams, interestingly also once called the 'Abalak'. Absolutely solid things, no concerns for quality either.

I personally find the wire makes them far easier to place one handed than slung tricams, but they can't be used passively! The smallest size is not so useful and quite fiddly to place, the medium and large sizes are quite ok.
OP Landy_Dom 21 May 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Got them ☺ shall be trying them tomorrow
 Mr Trebus 21 May 2016
In reply to Landy_Dom:

I have a set that I am looking to get rid of if anyone is looking. I find them rather fiddly to place and for what I climb I find nuts and cams do fine.

Al
 springfall2008 22 May 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

It depend what you want for them?
 banjaxed 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Mr Trebus:

yhm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...