UKC

Current conditions in Chamonix Valley?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 19 May 2016
Good morning all,

I'm away to Chamonix next week (Arriving Friday 27th May), I just wondered what the high level walking is like at the moment. I'm aware that the snow has remained longer than normal and I've heard that it's currently similar to early Spring, is this correct?

There will be a group of us walking in the valley (both sides), I'm aware that the only 'phrique is the Midi so was hoping to look at Balcon Sud, however I assume that if reports are correct then there would be too much snow, similarly on Balcon Nord and heading for lac Blanc? How about Aiguillette des Posettes? I walked this last year at the same time and there were smatterings of snow.

I'm also going for a wander on Mer de Glace with a couple of friends, I assume this is accessible via Montenvers as normal?

That's all for now, many thanks, Tony
 Jack Geldard 19 May 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Hi Tony,

You are right in that there has been a lot of lingering snow this year. I think you have your Balcons (N and S) mixed up, but you are still correct in that there is snow on them!

It has just snowed again down to around 1500m! Doh!

The Petit Balcon Sud is snow free, but I am unsure about higher up than that.

Cheers, Jack
In reply to Jack Geldard - Consulting Editor:

Yes, of course, Nord = Plan and Sud = Brevant.

Looks like lower walks then. Many thanks for replying.
Krisk 21 May 2016
In reply to Jack Geldard - Consulting Editor:

I am also there from next weekend.
I am keen to get out onto the Mer de Glace - would the lower parts be snow free?
Where is a good place to keep up to date with current conditions?

The weather forecast is erratic - 24 degrees on Saturday and Sunday, then 7 degrees on Monday?! Then climbing back up to 20s by the end of next week..

Thanks,
Kris
In reply to Krisk:

I agree with you about the weather, no one seems to know what's going on!

I've just had an email from a friend in the valley:
The balcon hike between Montenvers and Plan de l'Aiguille is covered by snow, but doable with snow shoes I believe.
Aiguillette des Posettes should be fine, but I guess with snow at the end...
Montenvers : yes you can access with ladders but the snow will not be far...
Overall, the snow limit is at about 2000 meters on south facing slopes, and 1800 m on northfacing..

I hope that helps. Tony

ps if anyone else has up to date info, please share the love

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...