UKC

looking for advice- sport climbing destinations in July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 s.thursz 19 May 2016
Hi all,

Me and a friend have a week free (mid Junly) and wish to go abroad for some sport climbing. but we don't have a car and nor would we be able to hire a car cheaply (aged 22 + 23 respectively).

So we'ed probably either catch a train or fly (then use public transport) and find a town/village/ campsite where we could walk to a number of crags for some sport climbing (and via ferreta if possible)

Does anyone have any recommendations?
did think about El Chorro but likely to be too hot but also thinking of Orpierre
 Kevster 19 May 2016
In reply to s.thursz:
Orpiere is also a hot venue from what I've experienced.
never been but maybe Verdon? Has shady sides etc.
you could also go coastal for sea breeze, dws and caves.

Sorry, just looked at you profile, Verdon may be quite adventurous, but then again, you may be up for that.
Post edited at 22:07
 silhouette 20 May 2016
In reply to Kevster:

> never been but maybe Verdon? Has shady sides etc.

I'm not sure Verdon would be ideal without a car because there is quite a long distance from the village to the crags.

Finale Ligure could be an option. Shady areas. Can't remember the names but the long valley just NNW of the town is a simple uphill walk from Finalborgo. Also a village some miles north accessible by bus. can't remember the name.
 conorcussell 20 May 2016
In reply to s.thursz:

What sort of grades? Ceuse is the classic summer option
 mishabruml 20 May 2016
In reply to s.thursz:

portland!
 JR_NL 20 May 2016

I climbed in the £ztal in Austria last year and quite enjoyed it. Not too hot, easy to get to (train & bus into the valley), nice campsite (in Huben) and busses running through the valley. Would still be some walking involved, but it's doable.

http://www.climbers-paradise.com/en/regionen/oetztal/
Post edited at 13:38
 MttSnr 20 May 2016
In reply to s.thursz:

I'm not sure how easy it is to get to Ailefroide in the Ecrins without a car. However, if you can get there, all the climbs are within very easy walking distance of the camp site. Routes are bolted slabby granite and tend to start at around F5. You'd need to be comfortable doing multiple abseils to descend.

Give it a go, its great.
 nutme 20 May 2016

Arco in Italy. It's on outskirts of Alps and limestone is of exceptional quality. A lot of craging as well as airy multi pitch routes.

1. Fly to Verona
2. Take regional train to Mori, there's 1-2 trains every hour. Ticket is about 5 euros.
3. Catch a local bus 332 or 301to Arco. Ticket is 2 euros.
4. Thousands of sport routes around.

As alternative you can fly to Milan and take intercity bus 40 directly to Arco. But it's expensive and about 4 hours.

Here's info about camping and more beta:
http://www.summitpost.org/arco-and-val-di-sarca-climbing-areas/152311

P.S.: for via ferratas you will have to hitch a ride or get around with local buses. Italians rarely pick up passengers, but tourists do often stop for 1 - 2 climbers walking on a road.
Post edited at 15:36
 martin.p65 20 May 2016
In reply to s.thursz:

I plan to be in Austria for all of July doing some climbing, via ferrata and general adventuring with two friends who I will meet there.

I have no plans set in stone but was recently looking at Landeck as a base - plenty of climbing and via ferratas around there such as Oeztal mentioned above.

Would be keen to meet other climbers out there
 jimtitt 20 May 2016
In reply to s.thursz:

Frankenjura.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...