UKC

Wye Valley with kids - suitable crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pete82 27 May 2016
Hi All,

Heading down to the Wye valley area camping with my in-laws next week, hoping to get a day climbing with my 2 young 'uns - age 6 and 4.

Any suggestions of suitable crags - i.e. with suitably easy routes and relatively quiet so I won't offend anyone by slinging a top rope up for a while? Never been to the wye valley, so don't know where to start.

Also, any decent easy-ish bouldering, in case I find a bit of time for myself?

Cheers
 Oogachooga 27 May 2016
In reply to pete82:

Wyndcliff springs to mind. Lots of easy sport stuff there. Good parking and nice in the sun.

Plump hill quarry is another good one if you want to second the kids up. Always quiet when ive been and a really easy angle slab with good parking. Trad wise, gear is not great on all routes but the there are some mods/diffs.
 krikoman 27 May 2016
In reply to pete82:

Whenever I've been there's always been lumps of it falling through the trees, not a place I'd think to take the kids, but that's only for the places I've been to.
 fred99 27 May 2016
In reply to pete82:

I wouldn't go to Wyndcliffe, routes are 150 ft or so.
Wyndcliffe Quarry is shorter and roadside, but too hard for little ones, and the holds are way too far apart.

At Symonds Yat there's an area around "Plopalot" and "Tarzan's Nuts" that's got a number of short (20 to 30 ft) Diff to V Diff routes with holds close together, plus the obligatory great big trees at the top to arrange a sling around for top/bottom roping.
Whatever you do though, DON'T go to the Introductory Rocks, they're so shiny you can almost use them as a mirror for shaving.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...