UKC

Help finding a day sack!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerwolf 29 May 2016
Hi all

I'm looking for a new day sack for walking in the mountains out here in New Zealand!

I need a pack that:
1. is about 20-30l in size
2. hydration compatible
3. has walking pole attachments
4. has a hip belt
5. has a ventilation style back system (such as Osprey's airspeed suspension)
6. integrated waterproof cover (not the most essential if covers all the other criteria)

The Osprey Stratos 24l is currently top of the list at present, but want to make sure I've covered all my options

Many thanks
Tom
 TobyA 29 May 2016
In reply to gingerwolf:

I'm currently reviewing a Lowe Alpine Air Zone pack that has all those features but is bigger. I think they do a smaller version though. Not sure if the is much point to the heavier ventilated back systems on a pack as small as you want though?
 mff513 07 Jun 2016
In reply to gingerwolf:

Take a look at the black Diamond hiking range they seem nice and I've got a speed 22 by black Diamond and its nice for climbing but lacks a hipbelt.
 tony 07 Jun 2016
In reply to gingerwolf:

I have a Berghaus Freeflow 25 which I think ticks all your boxes. I like it, but I was surprised at how hard it was to find in the shops. The only slight criticism would be that the waist belt isn't padded, but to be honest, I've never experienced any problems as a result of that.
 olddirtydoggy 07 Jun 2016
In reply to gingerwolf:

Bin off the parachute raincovers and use drybags. When buying a pack it's the one that fits your back best, not a model that works for someone else. I love Lowe Alpine packs but the Montane packs fit me better. Any retailer worth your time will load a pack and get you trying it on. Needlesports was great for me.
 HeMa 07 Jun 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Any retailer worth your time will load a pack and get you trying it on.

Yes, but perhaps not for 20 to 30 liter sacks...

And I agree with Toby, a "free-flow" back is not really worth the effort for such a small bag... and neither is a raincover. Drybags and robust sack are enough.

My 0.02 $ would be BlueIce Warthog (old 26 liter one on sale, or the new 28 liter version).
 olddirtydoggy 07 Jun 2016
In reply to HeMa:

I got a 22ltr Osprey Talon I bought on the strength of a review and it sits wrong and gives me back ache, I hate it. Always try a pack on regardless of size.
 ben b 08 Jun 2016
In reply to gingerwolf:

I'm in agreement with the Scandinavian Axis - back venting for me has been an exercise in uncomfortable hip belt pressure from behind and sacks that are buggers to pack because half of one side is convex into the bag.

For NZ walking get something 1) strong and 2) durable. Your local Macpac will have a few but if in NZ go the whole hog and get a Cactus bag from the guys in Chch - like the Miklat and stick the poles on the side straps when not using. http://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/packs-bags/miklat.html

b
 thedatastream 08 Jun 2016
In reply to gingerwolf:

An Alpkit Gourdon 20 or 30 will tick most of those. The hip belt is a narrow strap for stability only but the straps are wide and padded enough to not need it. Ventilated back? No. Walking poles live in the side pockets OK.

Failing that, Lowe Alpine every time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...