UKC

Via Ferrata - Tridentina OR Delle Trincee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 29 May 2016
So I'm off to the dolomites and plan to get 1 really good via ferrata done. These two seem to pop out the most when doing research, so my question is, if you could only do one of them, which one would you do? (or any other amazing suggestions)?

Thanks for any help!!
 CPH 29 May 2016
In reply to phja:

Tridentina
 Trangia 29 May 2016
In reply to phja:

I have only done Tidentina so I too would be interested in responses.

I found Tidentina to be overrated, over hyped and over crowded. The bottom sections are a bit scrappy with a long walk in the middle. This scrappiness continues as far as the escape route, but thereafter the VF changes and steepens, and this upper section is superbly exposed and much better than anything preceding it, although the bridge seemed a bit tame after all the hype.

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 29 May 2016
In reply to phja:

They're both good and classics for a reason. I agree with Trangia that Tridentina is possibly a bit over hyped, but still very worth doing. It does get busy though so it's best done very early or better yet done after 12 (just make sure there are no thunderstorms forecast). The nice thing about Tridentina is the majority of it can be climbed on beautiful sculpted jugs the whole way up.

Personally my favourites are:

Delle Mèsules/Possnecker on the Sella
Tomaselli on Cima Fanes Sud
Punta Anna link up with Lamon/Formenton on Tofana di Mezzo
Degli Alleghesi on Civetta
 Casa Alfredino 29 May 2016
In reply to OP:

Possnecker is a really grand day out - much less crowded and with sustained interest. Out of Trincee and Tridentina, Trincee wins all day long for me, although they are both crowded due to the easy access. For me, the best I've done in that area is the west ridge of Marmolada but it has glacier involved. It's not desperately hard but as an all round day out you just can't beat it. Roda di Vael from the Dente di Diablo is a nice route too... have yet to do the Alleghesi - hopeing to do it this summer!
 Brass Nipples 29 May 2016
In reply to

Trincee. It tends to thin out after the first section, you get a steep wall and great slab to start, some classic towers both up and down, you pass some interesting World war 1 remains, you get some tunnels at end and the old cannon to finish. Fantastic views of Marmolada throughout. It appears in the cliffhanger aerial footage if you know what you're looking at. Access via cable car from Arraba or an extended walk in from Passo Pordoi.

As others have said other VF are available. If it's wet then exploring the tunnels above Passo Falzarego can be an interesting morning / afternoon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...