UKC

Midge Nets etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 02 Jun 2016
Preparing for a trip to Skye in a couple of weeks. It would seem that the midges are as bad as to be expected. I know there are plenty of midge nets available on the internet but can anyone make particular recommendations eg ones that could be worn with a helmet etc, etc. Other sensible advice gratefully accepted. I am aware how malevolent they can be and still shudder at the sight of vertical columns of them above folk's heads at Sligachan.
 Fiona Reid 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I have one of these which is fine with a helmet on etc:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=im...

The mesh isn't quite as fine as the Highlander Micro headnet, that style is a bit better for being able to see where you're going but doesn't have the neck draw cord. Personally, I quite like the neck draw cord as it means I can adjust this depending on the number of layers I'm wearing.

That said, if it's so bad that I need to wear the net whilst actually climbing (belaying excepted) I don't climb. If they are that bad I'd rather go walking / running and attempt to move faster than them instead.
 cathsullivan 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I have this one:
https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/mosquito-nets/mosquito-and-midge-hea...

You can wear it over a helmet and it also has a little strap on the stuff sac that means you can attach it to your harness. I have seconded routes in it but it's not really ideal. Very handy for the top of the crag though and for packing up of an evening. I also use leg warmers (not the cyclist sort, the old fashioned 'Fame' sort) to try and stop midgies from biting my ankles while belaying at the top. People often comment on how stylish I look.
 CurlyStevo 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:
its rare to get bothered high up by midgies at this times of year (by mid July I'd say different). also bare in mind they don't like sun or winds above 5mph so if you can plan around sunny and / or breezy climbs (depending on the wind direction) then that could work for you.
Post edited at 15:18
Rigid Raider 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Just go and buy a bag of kindling from your garden centre or coal merchant; they supply in perfect midge nets.

Around the camp a couple of mosquito coils burning near the tent entrace do a good job of keeping the Caledonian Luftwaffe away.
 guisboro andy 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Hasn't bri still got those tights from last time?
OP Mike Conlon 06 Jun 2016
In reply to guisboro andy:

I believe he has worn them out, wearing them on a weekend !
 d_b 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Midges aren't real. They were invented by tourist shops to sell overpriced repellents and nets.
 AlanLittle 07 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Are you sure? I went to Wilton on a warm evening in August once wearing Boreal Aces. They seemed to like the fluorescent edging on those; for about a week afterwards I was getting through a tube of antihistamine cream a day and fearing I was going to lose my feet
 d_b 07 Jun 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:

Shhhhhh! I was hoping he would believe me and draw them off when I'm up there next month.
 Garbhanach 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Dell:

Netspex looked like it might be worth a try however I don't like websites selling stuff that have no info' on where they are operating from and Firefox blocked another link to their site with a message about it trying to find information.

Might be possible to do a DIY net with specs, looking for specs with removable click in lenses to try.

http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gear-editors-column/netspex/
 David Coley 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Dell:

> Game changer!

As the net lies tight against the nose, won't your nose be eaten to death?
 d_b 07 Jun 2016
In reply to David Coley:

Maybe make them with something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001692692/
MikeJack 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Garbhanach:

I am a director of Arland Design Ltd. who make NETSPEX and wanted the opportunity to respond to the posts to defend our position and set the record straight. We are a genuine UK company (albeit a small family run business) and negative comments give us much concern.

I have taken on board your comments and put some more information about the company onto our website. We are new to selling online so I hope you will understand that this is not our forte.

Arland Design and NETSPEX are genuine. The product has been trialled by various organisations which are mentioned on the website (and some which can't be mentioned). Apart from the review by Chris Townsend we have send a pair to Huw James, an intrepid explorer who is off to Peru today. We are looking forward to his review and photos.

I don't climb but NETSPEX should be ok over or under a helmet. If the net touches your skin (nose for example) the midges should not be able to bite through the fine mesh.

I hope this goes some way to re-assuring you that we are genuine and I would be pleased to respond to any other comments you may have on our website.

Many thanks to the Forum Admin for re-opening this topic for me.

> Netspex looked like it might be worth a try however I don't like websites selling stuff that have no info' on where they are operating from and Firefox blocked another link to their site with a message about it trying to find information.

> Might be possible to do a DIY net with specs, looking for specs with removable click in lenses to try.

MikeJack 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Hello,
I am a director of Arland Design Ltd. who make NETSPEX and wanted the opportunity to respond to the posts on this topic to defend our position and set the record straight. We are a genuine UK company (albeit a small family run business) and negative comments give us much concern.

I have taken on board comments which have been made and put some more information about the company onto our website. We are new to selling online so I hope you will all understand that this is not our forte.

Arland Design and NETSPEX are genuine. The product has been trialled by various organisations which are mentioned on the website (and some which can't be mentioned). Apart from the review by Chris Townsend we have send a pair to Huw James, an intrepid explorer who is off to Peru today. We are looking forward to his review and photos.

I don't climb but NETSPEX should be ok over or under a helmet. If the net touches your skin (nose for example) the midges should not be able to bite through the fine mesh.

I hope this goes some way to re-assuring you all that we are genuine and I are be pleased to respond to any other comments, good or bad, you may have on our website.

Many thanks to the Forum Admin for re-opening this topic for me.
 Siward 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I have one of these (I think!- identical design anyway). Proper midgies easily get inside a mere headnet.

http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...