UKC

Asolo afs guide boots for 7000m peak any good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pj84 04 Jun 2016
Would my asolo afs guide boots be warm enough for a 7000m peak in summer? And advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance
 Damo 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Pj84:

Maybe. Depends.

Climbers in the 80s regularly used similar boots for 7000ers. Climbers in the 80s also often lost toes to frostbite.

It will really depend on the peak, the month, your physiology, your high camp and various things. They're pushing it though.

And there are 7000ers and there are 7000ers:
- Peak Lenin, yes. Peak Pobeda, no.
- Spantik, yes. Gasherbrum IV, no.
- Pumori, yes. Jannu, no.
 TobyA 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Pj84:

Are they new? If not -i'm sure they sound like the 80s or 90s boots- be very aware that plastic boots over say 10 years old can and do fail catastrophically.
OP Pj84 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Damo:

i will be doing khan tengri in august. was thinking of using an outer boot cover too, something like 40 below covers or berghaus yeti insulated gaiters.
 TobyA 06 Jun 2016
OP Pj84 06 Jun 2016
In reply to TobyA: Haha oh dear! Ok cheers thanks for your help 😊

Damo 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Pj84:

40B are OK but add faff getting ready in the morning, may not work well with your crampons, will get damaged on rock and mixed terrain (KT summit day) and will be redundant if you buy warmer boots later. Yetis have no insulation in the sole so really aren't a lot warmer than regular gaiters, though better than nothing.

Both will add bulk to your boot, affecting crampon fit and feel. KT above high camp is moderately technical, though on fixed ropes, so you might feel a bit clunky, but would generally be fine.

Do the freezer-hammer test though, to check. But iirc those Asolos used different plastic to the type used on Koflachs and Scarpas, where most of the age-breakage occurred.
OP Pj84 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Damo:

Thanks for your advice, appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...