UKC

Goal zero kit for campervan use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james.slater 06 Jun 2016
I am looking into getting a solar kit to use for my campervan/camping trips, and was just after some advice, experiences or reviews of the goal zero products.
I am looking to run a laptop, possibly some 2.1 speakers, and phone. After a bit of research im not sure what combination of bits I will need, I have looked at the Nomad 13 panel, Nomad 20 panel and possibly the Sherpa 50 powerbank, or the Yeti 150, or even the Power gorilla?

Anything helpful would be appreciated!
 tjin 06 Jun 2016
In reply to james.slater:

power output from the panels totally depends on what sun reaches your panel. Generally not much and way below the ratings. I think the Sherpa 50 would be one the low side...

If you have it installed in your campervan, I would buy the components seperate, instead of a goalzero system .The goal zero is nice, but you pay a hefty price for a complete package.
 ad111 06 Jun 2016

The cheapest way to get a system that you could generally rely on to be able to charge your laptop off would be to buy a 2nd hand PV panel online - get something around 60W, buy a cheap charge controller and a battery. You'd just about charge a normal laptop up most days in January in the UK.
OP james.slater 06 Jun 2016
In reply to tjin:

Ye im thinking the bigger panel is going to be best for the British sun! I wont 'install' it necessarily, just have it tucked under the bed so I can use it independently from the van. As far as I can tell buying the package very slightly reduces the price and compared to similar products from other brands the pricing seems about average?
In reply to ad111:

Hi Adam!

Trouble is, finding a half decent truly portable solar panel for cheap is quite difficult! My van is only small! Some of them arent much cheaper than the goal zero fold up panels and the extra kit still costs a fair whack for something half decent. I would probably be happy to pay a bit extra and just get some new stuff (maybe I havnt quite got the whole slumming it in a van thing yet )
 ad111 06 Jun 2016

Hello

How portable do you need it to be? PV panels are reasonably hardy!

The problem with the goal zero one is that they are small and of pretty questionable efficiency. If you bought their 20W panel you would be getting around 20Wh a day in January and 80 odd in July. Your laptop probably needs around 50Wh for a charge. That's assuming you had a spot with no shade and you propped your panel at 35 degrees. + you'll need a battery which will never be that efficient either.

Anyway, I should be doing an assignment on PV at the moment so send me a message on fb and I'll happily spend more time talking about it if this hasn't already bored you out of your mind.

In reply to ad111:

Will do! An assignment on PV? Im intrigued!
 ad111 06 Jun 2016

The joys of a masters in renewable energy!

If I wasn't selling my van I'd get something like this:

http://www.beamled.com/60w-semi-flexible-solar-panel-with-cables.html?gclid...

with a charge controller for £20 and a leisure battery
 Siward 06 Jun 2016

I stuck a Bosch 100w panel to the roof which (through a mppt unit) keeps all of the batteries charged and gives me more electricity than I need (which isn't much- some low power lamps and charging for electronic kit) even in Scottish winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...