UKC

First rope for scrambling and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJJ77 07 Jun 2016
I am looking into buying my first rope for scrambling and climbing i have been advised to get a 60m rope preferably dry treated but searching online some reviews for the same rope range from fantastic to wore out quickly i do have a tight budget so something around the £80-£100 if possible i could go a bit higher but have other things on my shopping list so a good quality but within the budget as much as possible, one rope i have looked at is the Tendon smart lite it appears to have a dry treatment but on some sites don't mention it
 John Kelly 07 Jun 2016
In reply to LJJ77:

Get a 50m for first rope
OP LJJ77 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Thanks for the advice guys
 Hyphin 10 Jun 2016
In reply to LJJ77:
Get out climbing with other folk, usually happy for you to use their gear. Work out what, where and when your likely to climb. That will then direct you. "Big boot" scrambling up gullies in the damp is quite different to, and has different requirements from, single pitch cragging on a hot summer day. You may end up, like many of us, with a whole selection.
Post edited at 23:28
OP LJJ77 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Hyphin:
Thanks Hyphin probably will end up with a selection sooner or later i have been out and about with a couple of guys off here and they both have been good enough to pass on their experience but it was suggested to put a post on here for some advice on a decent rope as a few models would have been tried and tested one of the guys uses a 8.5mm beal and the other a tendon 10.2mm but no dry treatment but both advised a 60m as i can use it for both scrambling and climbing also it covers me for abseiling but the ropes they use wouldn't be best choice for a first rope i am leaning towards the tendon smart though
Post edited at 18:23
In reply to LJJ77:

A 50m Galaxy is a rope that will do alot

A 60 rope is only really needed for sport routes over 25m. Well maybe 23m. Which is mainly sport routes abroad

If you have other things to buy then keeping the rope cost down makes sense to me
 dave moseley 13 Jun 2016
In reply to LJJ77:

and a dry treated rope will be much better on gully scrambles, and in winter it won't turn into a 50m walking stick if it gets wet then freezes
OP LJJ77 14 Jun 2016
In reply to dave moseley:

The tendon smart does have a light dry treatment i would have to get a galaxy protect or dry and that pushes the price up thanks for all the advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...