UKC

Norfolk Broads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 14 Jun 2016
Where's a good place/location to stay for a week while exploring Norwich and the Broads?

And what would you suggest adding to a seeing-and-doing list?

Cheers muchly
 Adam Long 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

On a boat. The broads are a disappointing place to visit by road, whereas by water its unlike anything else in the country. Amazing wildlife, a wilderness feel in places, and you are given a surprising level of freedom to go and stop where you like. I've not been to Norwich.
 LittleRob 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Hard to say exactly without knowing what sort of things you like to do!

We spent a few days there 2 years ago. I thought Wroxham was pretty horrid. Very busy on a Saturday, presumably because of change-over day for hire craft. That said, we did have a nice lunch in a little cafe called "Number 14".

We actually stayed down the road in Horning and this was much quieter, and I quite liked it. We had a very good meal at www.burerivercottagerestaurant.co.uk

As for things to do, we took bikes and Kayaks. The river Bure upstream from Coltishall was very nice. There are no pleasure craft at all, and the water was crystal clear (the rest of the boards are pretty brown). We also had a day out from somewhere near Martham (can't quite find it right now) heading towards Horsey.

The cycling was, as you would imagine, fairly easy.

Rob

GrahamD 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Adam Long:

+1. By boat, definately.
 The Ivanator 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I would not recommend the Norfolk Broads for a Lemming, distinct lack of cliffs to plunge after your siblings from.
 Chris Harris 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I thought this was going to be a thread about East Anglian ladies....
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Another +1. Go on a boat.
 Mountain Llama 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

+1 for a boat. Had 3 great holidays as a young lad.
 AlanLittle 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

If you're towards the southern end, and at all interested in such things, the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton is a gem.
 Hat Dude 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Get back in touch with childhood & read "Coot Club" and "The Big Six" by Arthur Ransome for a nostalgic background to the Broads
 whenry 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

+1 for a boat. It's been a while since I was last there, but Horsey Mere is worth a visit.
 Dave Reeve 14 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

1) Boat trip to see the seals from Morston Quay, some boats will drop you off for a wander around Scolt Head. Search for Blakeney Seals and you'll find a couple of local companies offering trips.

2) Norwich Cathedral is impressive if you like that sort of thing, there's also Norwich Castle to visit and the parts of the city away from Castle Mall and Chapelfield Mall have a good range of interesting small shops.

3) Holkham Beach is good for wide open space walks, in fact most of the North Norfolk Coast is really beautiful and a mecca for bird watching.

4) Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts on the UEA campus

5) You can hire canoes from The Canoe Man who also supplies maps etc

6) Thetford Forest has some good Mountain Bike Trails, there is a Go Ape there too

7) Personally I think I'd drown myself if I had to spend a week on a Broads Cruiser, there is a 4 knot maximum speed and much of the scenery is reeds, and reeds, and reeds but then I live locally so am probably terribly biased.

8) If you've a mind to climb there is Highball, an impressive bouldering centre near the Airport, there is climbing at the Sportspark at UEA but for a short visit I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to climb there.

9) Norwich itself can be a pain to drive through, there is no decent ring road so I would base yourself either North or South of the city depending upon what you think you'll be doing mostly.
OP The Lemming 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Reeve:

Thanks for that, very helpful indeed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...