UKC

Pembroke DWS guide book?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rupey 16 Jun 2016
I have the Deep Water rockfax, but do the relevant CC books include details on DWS and add anything to what's covered in Deep Water? Thanks for any advice.
 John2 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Rupey:

I'm no DWS expert, but the CC guidebooks do include more DWS than the Rockfax.
In reply to Rupey: Good question. Unless anyone knows the answer off the top of their head I can have a flick through the guidebooks tomorrow since the weather has put paid to my plans to go climbing at Swanage.
OP Rupey 16 Jun 2016
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Thanks Ex-engineer, that would be very helpful!
 Stu McInnes 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Rupey:

The cc guides include all the dws, Which bit are you heading to? The Rockfax is perhaps a cheaper option if you're heading to different bits, but there is SO much more out there!
OP Rupey 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Stu McInnes: Well, based on the rockfax (which I've got already) I was thinking Lydstep area: The Twin Caves and Skomer Arch West And Kato Zawn all looked good. I've been to Barrel Zawn a few years ago so was thinking of heading there for a relaxed day two. Where would you recommend?

Stu McInnes 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Rupey:

The lydstep area is excellent, and the Rockfax guide for that area is good, but more in the cc guide for the Lydstep area. loads more on the rest of the south Pembs limestone, Newton Head is good, get the cc range east book and search though...
Barrel zawn is ok, but there are loads more spots in North Pembs, awesome stuff out st St David's head (some pretty gnarly sea conditions and quite remote) some nice friendly stuff out right from Porth Clais, and Abercastle is excellent, get the cc north Pembs book for those places.
OP Rupey 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Stu McInnes: thanks! Some good tips and a good excuse to buy another guide book.

TheGeneralist 19 Jun 2016
In reply to OP:

Be careful at Barrel Zawn. The Rockfax S grades for some of the route are criminally negligent. I sat there for about 2 hours watching the tide come in and cover some boulders under the routes. They only just got covered. They were solos, not deep water solos.
I spoke to some local geezer who was involved in the CC guide and he said the S grades at Barrel were ridiculous. He said you have to be very careful there.

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...