UKC

Little dog lifejacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 17 Jun 2016
Could anybody recommend a brand of life-jacket for a small terrier size dog?

I know bugger all about such things and don't want to buy the equivalent of a lead-lined jacket for my pooch.
 Dark-Cloud 17 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Ruffwear stuff is good quality stuff:

http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/k9-float-coat
 LastBoyScout 18 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Someone like Crewsaver or Baltic would be reputable brands.
OP The Lemming 18 Jun 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Someone like Crewsaver or Baltic would be reputable brands.

Thanks for those suggestions. Just got to work out the correct sizing for a Patterdale Terrier at 10Kgs. Looks like the websites, for the Baltic especially, are a bit reluctant to give sizing charts or guidelines.
pwhiteside 18 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

As someone put earlier, Ruffwear. Do lots of sizes and really well made.

pwo 19 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I use a crewsaver for my lab. First time putting it on I ended up with one leg and arm in one of the holes, second time he ended up with three legs in one hole and I had two arms in the other, third time he was well pi55ed off so I wore it instead. Seriously though it's a good jacket with carry handle. Don't know why you want it but I have concerns with recovering a non compliant 42kg dog if he goes overboard and doubt I could reach the handle anyway with the freeboard on my boat. But gives me some confidence whilst he's in our tender between boat and shore. If you go to a good chandlers they should have some in stock and let you try out.
 toad 19 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a crewsaver, and I've seen terriers in them, so I'm sure there is one for you. Might be worth visiting a canal chandlery, as a lot of inland boaters have dogs, maybe salty sailors less so.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/midland%20chandlers/crewsa...
OP The Lemming 21 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Hopeful bump for a few more suggestions.

J1234 21 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Is there not a Chandlers in Fleetwood who may stock this type of thing?
In reply to Lenin:

Fleetwood ain't what it used to be.

Sorry.
In reply to toad:

To be honest, I'm not after suggestions of small retailers in my local area with a limited stock of kit, but rather suggestions of kit that is well made and reputable that will keep my pooch alive and happy while splashing around.

Please forgive me if this sounds a little high handed but a text based environment has the ability to misconstrue what I am trying to say.

I have some excellent suggestions on flotation devices. I was hoping for a few more before buying online.

toad 21 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

In that case. Get a crewsaver. Pretty much gold standard if you need to haul him up (for eg) metal piling on a canal bank, where you cant get a good grip on the dog. If it's just for splashing around on a beach or river bank though, I doubt he'd need one - but obviously, you know your dog best.

PS Going to a good chandlers will let you try before you buy, and helps support an important resource (like climbing shops) over marginally cheaper online sellers
In reply to toad:

> PS Going to a good chandlers will let you try before you buy, and helps support an important resource (like climbing shops) over marginally cheaper online sellers

Any Chandlers that you would suggest in the Lakes which would have a broad range of jackets?

I shall definitely check out the crewsaver jackets.

Cheers.

toad 21 Jun 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

ah, no. Not really any canals in the lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...