UKC

Julian alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 21 Jun 2016
Planning to do a ten day trip across the julian alps in july. Staying at the huts so as to stay high. Wanting to take minimal weight in rucksack. Wondering if we need harness, slings, helmet etc. We are both climbers and experienced scramblers. Anyone been who can offer an opinion?
Thanks
 d_b 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:
you can get a long way just walking but there are a few places where a helmet is still worthwhile. Paths cut into cliff with a flock of ibex 50m above you kicking rocks down, that sort of thing.

Most of the stuff marked on the maps as VF routes are fairly easy walking terrain with cable and don't really require a harness. There are some excellent via ferratas at the 3/low 4 level that would benefit from a harness and lanyard though.
Post edited at 13:52
Removed User 21 Jun 2016

I did a fair share of marked stuff in Julian Alps in Slovenia and I never used a harness. Keep in mind that most cables were placed before WWII - long before any via ferrata sets even existed. Helmet, however, is a good idea on certain paths, so don't leave it at home. One thing you should be aware of - some marked paths, although equipped with cables, are quite exposed and a possible fall would be fatal. If a falling rock hits you there, it might be a good idea to wear a harness & a via ferrata set. I never did, but I was willing to take that risk.
 Toerag 21 Jun 2016

I assume you're doing Triglav - if you think you're going to stay up high in huts to save yourself going down you should think again! Every 2-3 peaks you have a big valley to go down and up (not really any cablecars there). To answer your question - I found the Slovenian VF relatively serious with few cabled sections. They weren't particularly difficult (uncabled sections were often just as difficult! :-/) but I think it was worth taking the VF kit, especially as there will probably still be snow on north-facing high bits.
 d_b 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Toerag:

I found the most difficult & dangerous thing on Triglav was the horde on the summit ridge
Removed User 29 Jun 2016

Thanks to all for info.
 d_b 30 Jun 2016

I would take via ferrata kit up Triglav btw. That ridge is very crowded.

One other thing I would add is that the alpine museum in Mojstrana stocks loads of guidebooks in English that are unavailable here. They also sell the best maps I have seen of the area. Pay them a visit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...