UKC

Wandering about slate quarries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 22 Jun 2016
Hi pedants! I'm wondering about wandering about the slate quarries in North Wales - are there any good walks or link-ups (up to VD/F5) which will take in a few of the more impressive quarries?

Never climbed on slate either, so any general hints and tips very welcome.
 deacondeacon 22 Jun 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Have a look at 'snakes an ladders' it's an Hvs in the slate quarries but it's fairly ungradeable. It's more of a dangerous via ferratta than a climb. The only bit a vdiff climber may struggle with is climbing the chain but this can be bypassed.
You need to be comfortable with abseiling and don't underestimate it's seriousness.
It's a fantastic day out though, have fun.
OP humptydumpty 22 Jun 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

A bit less pedestrian than what I had in mind, and "should only be attempted by...those with good knowledge of the slate quarries" gives pause for thought. But oh so tempting! How reversible is it if you get half way and chicken out? And is there decent scope for protecting a second with a rope for the harder (scarier) bits?
In reply to humptydumpty:

If youu know the way it is escapable in most places except a few places where you must climb a ladder or two to get out having already climbed a ladder (East Braich) or done an abseil (Lost World). The only thing approaching actual climbing is the chain pitch which can be well protected/aided using the chain. The rest of the serious and scary bits are ladders and abseils. Route finding can be a problem. Just the other day I came across a well marked scrambling trail going down to a small obscure terrace with no interesting features. I wondered what was attracting significant numbers of people down there until, at the bottom of the terrace, I found a tree with a couple of slings and maillons. It then dawned on me that the trail was an alternative Snakes and Ladders line generated by people missing the usual abseil into Lost World (a bolt equipped stance on the edge of the level by Heaven Walls) by not dropping down enough from the top of East Braich. The way isn't obvious and is only sketchily described. If you miss the way here you can easily backtrack and walk down - if you know the way!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...