UKC

Walks around Cham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 01 Jul 2016
Along with Mrs Wilko I'll in Cham valley for a week shortly. It's a long time since we've been in the area and we're not doing big peaks any more (or even big walks). We'll probably be looking for fairly easy walks with not too much ascent or descent and probably some mechanical assistance. Aiguilles Rouge side sounds like favourite. Anyone got any favourites to recommend?
In addition we are hoping to see the Tour de France stage which finishes at the Embosson dam. Any good ideas for getting up there without driving, even assuming that's allowed? (We shan't have bikes.) Any nice little footpaths? I don't see much on the 1:25,000 map. I see there's a convenient funicular but I imagine you have to be camped outside the ticket office overnight to get on that. Or am I wrong?
 jon 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hi Rog. I believe the road will be closed in Argentière to prevent people getting over to Vallorcine. You might like to check this - it was a friend in Argentière who told us. He also said that only bikes and pedestrians are allowed on the Emosson road. You might like to look into maybe getting over to Vallorcine before any road closure and walk up to Loriaz and spend the night at the refuge then walk around to Emosson to see the finish. I'd imagine the Châtelard > Emosson funicular would be at best a total lottery, or impossible. The whole TdF entourage are to descend from there through the tunnel back down to Châtelard.

For your Aigs Rouges walks get a copy of Hilary's Mont Blanc Walks...
OP Rog Wilko 01 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

Thanks for that Jon. That looks like a good idea - I have emailed the refuge. That looks like a very nice level walk to the dam and the path back down to Vallorcine looks do-able - a bit steep at the top but hopeably within our compass. Might be good idea to get train to and from Cham, do you think?
Graeme G 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Theres a really good guidebook which details lots of walks which use the cable cars etc. Last time i was there i saw it outside a shop on the postcard rack. Tried google but couldnt find a link

Found it.....

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/Chamonix-Mont-blanc-Ungar-Catherine-Editions-Aio/...

50 hikes linking all the cable cars. Great pictures and descriptions
Post edited at 19:14
 Oujmik 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The walk is eminently doable. It's a bit of a hard slog to gain the altitude but it's all on good paths. In normal times getting the train is a great idea, not sure how the TdF will affect it though.
 jon 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

> getting the train is a great idea, not sure how the TdF will affect it though.

I'd imagine they'll lay on dozens of extras.

jon 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> That looks like a very nice level walk to the dam

It's one of those undulating ones and it traverses into lots of hidden couloirs so it's a bit longer than you think. Very scenic.

> and the path back down to Vallorcine looks do-able - a bit steep at the top but hopeably within our compass.

Absolutely. Once in Barberine go left after the first few houses and across the border and you can get the train back over to Argenti£re.
Post edited at 21:27
OP Rog Wilko 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Thanks for that - looks like it might be worth the buy. I don't usually buy walking guides as I'm a perfectly competent map reader, but this sounds like it could give me some ideas.
OP Rog Wilko 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

Thanks. I feel the train is bound to be overwhelmed!
OP Rog Wilko 01 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

Thanks again Jon. A bit of a plan seems to be evolving.
 Northsea 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hi,

Buy Hilary Sharps book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chamonix-Mountain-Adventures-Cicerone-Guide-ebook/...

Great size for carrying, has a little of everything, climbing, biking, Via Ferrata but lots of suggested walks and routes from and to uplift.
OP Rog Wilko 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Northsea:

Thanks. I think that's what Jon was referring to above.
 jon 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well there are two that overlap a little as far as walks go. There's Mont Blanc Walks which is walks in the massif, day/multiday, and Chamonix Mountain Adventures which has a smaller selection of those walks but also climbing, biking, alpine routes etc.
OP Rog Wilko 02 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

So which would be better for me, do you think?
 jon 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well I'd have thought Mont Blanc Walks if it's the walking that you're interested in. The other one was written for folk who want to dabble in other things as well as walking - bikes, easy climbing, easy alpine routes etc etc... and also for families with kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...