UKC

Climbing in Austria - Imst/Landeck Area July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martin.p65 04 Jul 2016
Heading to Imst/Landeck area for the last two weeks of July. Are there any specific recommendations of climbing areas, campsite, useful local info etc etc that people can offer?

We intend to stay at a campsite and will only be able to access local transport to get around further distances. Also interested in caving or canyoning in the area but not paying for a guide (we have experience) - anyone know some simple caves or ghylls that would be feasible?
In reply to martin.p65:
There are 3 campsites in Imst, two of which are near to the Kletterhalle/climbing wall. I lived in Landeck and there is the Starkenbach nearby with lots of easier climbs, and Gotterwandl nearer to Imst with harder stuff. Looks like there are other Klettergartens nearby too which I didn't visit: http://www.tirolwest.at/sommer-menu/klettern.html

I used the bus and trains a lot to travel between Landeck and Imst, although the Imst station is a bit out of the way of the centre if you plan to walk to it. Buses were fine though.

Email me for more general info if you have any questions about the area!
Post edited at 22:13
 Skyfall 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

This is probably a really dumb question, but I've been interested in climbing (rock, not so much high snow/mixed these days) in Austria for a while but can't find an English language guide. Is there some resource to help me work out what's available etc?

Thanks if you can shed any light
 tjekel 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

theres nothing much in english that covers a lot of areas. but depending on what you are into - youl find topoguides to many areas that have reasonable access maps and dont need major language skills. pn me with some approximation on what you'd like to do and i could probably get you a few hints.
 Scott K 06 Jul 2016
In reply to martin.p65:

It could be pretty hot in July. There are also some via ferratas round Imst. You need to try the alpine coaster as well! I went to Nassereith for via ferrata but there is also climbing there.
Area 47 is great if you have a day off and the climbing wall in Imst is worth a visit even just to have a look at the outside wall.
There are pretty good restaurants in Imst and plenty supermarkets. This website is useful - http://www.imst.at/en.
In reply to Skyfall:

I can't find any translated guides - I always used the UKC logbooks or searched online for a specific crag or area as I didn't have a guidebook and also went climbing with locals. As has been said, you can generally glean enough info without having to understand the German. Google translate is usually fine for crag directions and anything you specifically want to know. If you're stuck, I can translate for you - just send an email!
 Andy Say 06 Jul 2016
In reply to martin.p65:

I've always found this - http://www.climbers-paradise.com/en/regionen/imst/ - a pretty useful site.

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...