UKC

NNAS providers... is it worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 12 Jul 2016
I'm running navigation training weekends (among other things) and I registered with NNAS last year, however I haven't run a single course this year. I tried, I even advertised three courses, but no one wanted to take part.

What's your experience of the scheme? Are you a provider that runs courses? Have you been a participant - what attracted you to it and would you do it again?

Thanks, Tony
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Crikey, no one here delivers NNAS?

Maybe that answers my question
 Roadrunner5 12 Jul 2016

I didn't think so, I paid to register and did the same, little uptake.
 GrahamUney 12 Jul 2016

Hi Tony. I've been an NNAS provider on and off for sometime now. I find it very worthwhile. I generally run more Silver courses than Bronze and usually only one or two Gold courses every year. Like any service, you do have to work at the marketing though, and it takes a while to get established and start seeing repeat business and lots of recommendations, but it is worth it in the long run.
 jezb1 12 Jul 2016

Seems a bit pointless really, I don't see why you'd need to brand a nav course, but if you wanted to MT has got to be the bigger name.
 Seocan 12 Jul 2016

I had to google NNAS.
I'd never heard of it, in fact if i'd wanted to go on a nav course i'd have just googled mountain guides.
Perhaps better marketing would get the courses out there.
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> I didn't think so, I paid to register and did the same, little uptake.

Thanks Iain, I'm hearing that a lot.
In reply to GrahamUney:

> Hi Tony. I've been an NNAS provider on and off for sometime now. I find it very worthwhile. I generally run more Silver courses than Bronze and usually only one or two Gold courses every year. Like any service, you do have to work at the marketing though, and it takes a while to get established and start seeing repeat business and lots of recommendations, but it is worth it in the long run.

Don't get me wrong Graham, I like the concept and I love delivering nav training, it's just I don't know if folks are prepared to pay up to £100 (and more with some providers) for a fairly meaningless certificate.

I thought the lack of take-up was due to my location (the New Forest), so I might give it one more go before my licence needs renewing this year. I'll probably look at the Peak District and see what happens.
In reply to jezb1:

> Seems a bit pointless really, I don't see why you'd need to brand a nav course, but if you wanted to MT has got to be the bigger name.

I'm beginning to think the same. The Hill Skills course would be similar I guess.
In reply to Seocan:

> I had to google NNAS.

> I'd never heard of it, in fact if i'd wanted to go on a nav course i'd have just googled mountain guides.

> Perhaps better marketing would get the courses out there.

Happen that's the problem, poor marketing.
 Roadrunner5 13 Jul 2016
We tailored nav courses for trail and fell runners. That was far more successful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...