UKC

nice walks - Isle of Harris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Costadia 14 Jul 2016
Hi all,

I am planning a 7 days trip to the Isle of Harris. Would you be able to give me some suggestions about nice walks I can do on the island? Do you think I will need a car? How is the public transport there?

Cheers
 kwoods 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

Hey

Not sure about public transport, but a car will undeniably help - the best routes always seem to start at some point in the middle of nowhere, I'm especially thinking of the Reinigeadal area, the long road out west across the North Harris coast, Pairc Forest (further afield)...

The four big hills - Cliseam, Uisgneabhal, Oireabhal and Tiorga Mor are all great - they feel like legwork to link together with the gaps between. There would be some good low stuff to be had by walking under Sron Uladal, the old path to Reinigeadal..

Best attribute of Harris imo is it has lots of absolutely awesome smaller hills: Todun, Sgaoth Aird, Beinn Dhubh (Luskentyre), Ceapabhal, Roineabhal etc etc A lot of these hills are actually really short trips but absolutely packed with character, so I've had a couple fun summers on Harris driving around, nailing out hills on a one-on-one basis, and packing in as many in a day as I can.

Through routes can be hard to do with the nature of the terrain and place, so I've always found shorter routes more natural.

Two areas slightly further afield I'd like to get to sometime, and have yet are Pairc and Uig.

Pairc is just a wild little peninsula - Caiteseal or Uisinis from the nearest road would both be absolutely epic - probably best backpacked over two days. The Uig hills (Mealaisbhal, etc) just look lovely.

That's all quite hill-orientated, but hope it helps

Kevin
 mountainbagger 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

Full on hill walk: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/outer-hebrides/clisham-horseshoe.shtml

We did this (or very similar) and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a car, but the route starts (and finishes, if you can find your way back!) on a main road. There is a bus I believe.

We also did something similar to this one: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/outer-hebrides/huiseabhal-mor.shtml

A bit less strenuous than the other one. Also very enjoyable. On both routes we hardly saw a soul, which was wonderful!

Have a great time. I absolutely loved the Isle of Harris.
Fidman 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

Harris is criss-crossed with lots of footpaths, it is an amazing place with wonderful beaches. Walkhighlands have some good walks, the lighthouse on Scalpy is a good easy short walk; the Clisham horseshoe is a tough day but you can go up the Clisham on its own for a shorter walk. One tip, go to the new distillery on Tarbert, they don't have any whisky yet but they have an amazing gin, £35 a bottle but it is seriously good.
Costadia 19 Jul 2016
In reply to kwoods:

That's great thanks.
I'll probably try to hire a car. Some of these hills seem amazing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...