UKC

Just used a tricam in anger:)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 16 Jul 2016
I ordered a couple of Camp Tricams (0.5 and 1.5) to give them a try, and they have sat on my rack for a while. Well this week I was climbing One Less White Oliver (VS 4c).

The climb was a difficult start where you have to place your first bit of gear from a layback, but I found a nice Tricam placement from the ground where a nut or cam wouldn't have fitted. I was well pleased as it was good enough to protect from a ground fall during the difficult start

I think I might get a 1 and a 2 as well - the theory being any larger and I'd just use a normal cam anyhow.
 Toerag 18 Jul 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

The small pink one (no.2?) is great 'cos it goes in thumb-sized pockets
 Chris Sansum 18 Jul 2016

Great gear - but a bit hard to remove for your second sometimes. Found them useful in Pembroke at the weekend!
 d_b 18 Jul 2016

Welcome to the cult. Our secret rituals are inscribed on the ancient parchment tucked into the instruction leaflet.
 LastBoyScout 18 Jul 2016

Well, it's about time!
 Greasy Prusiks 18 Jul 2016

So you used it on Saturday?

Big question is, has your second got it out yet?

SenzuBean 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris Sansum:

> Great gear - but a bit hard to remove for your second sometimes.

Never really had that problem (as a leader or second). I always make sure to give an instruction session on removal technique on the ground if I think I might use a tri-cam (although sometimes you don't intend to use one, but find no better placements and have to shout down instructions!).

Offwidth 18 Jul 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
I've never had a problem either...much easier to remove with a nut key than a wedged nut... in fact they can a little too easily get dislodged in my experience by movements of the rope so they needed bedding in and/or extending well. Great pro for pockets and a versatile spare for cracks or breaks if you have already used the right sized cam.
Post edited at 12:50
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> So you used it on Saturday?

> Big question is, has your second got it out yet?

It actually wasn't a problem, I didn't extend it because it was so close to the ground it wouldn't have been any use with extension. It pull out due to rope drag after I'd placed my first nut and pulled up - this was expected in this circumstance and it did the job (preventing a deck).
In reply to Toerag:

Yes pink, it's 0.5 in new money (I think they changed the size numbers at some point).
 drsdave 18 Jul 2016

Recommended for winter climbing, did I just mention winter?
 humptydumpty 18 Jul 2016

Did my second trad route of the year yesterday, and made a three-tricam belay on one pitch, and placed at least one more. Much lighter, and much cheaper than a second set of cams
 humptydumpty 18 Jul 2016

Anyone tried the evos?
 andrewmc 18 Jul 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

I have the Evo set and I am a fan, although I haven't tried the normal ones. When I looked there was almost no weight advantage to the Dyneema versions, so I got the Evo set which runs black, pink, red, brown (I think?).

I have, however, never placed one as a nut (but then I have many nuts)...
 wilkie14c 18 Jul 2016

Shame blue straggler doesn't visit these parts as much as he used to, he married a number 3 tricameral and they have been happy since then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...