UKC

Which Traxion for moving together?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 17 Jul 2016

Using a single rope, which traxion is the best tool for the job? And does wildcountry recommend the ropeman for such duties?
Post edited at 15:28
 PPP 17 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> And does petzl recommend the ropeman for such duties?
I've heard Tesco recommends Lidl as it's cheaper.
 Timmd 17 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

The Ropeman is made my Wild Country. Hope to help
OP zimpara 17 Jul 2016
In reply to PPP:

Good point. Cheers
 PPP 17 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Sorry, couldn't resist :P. I thought Ropeman 2 is fairly similar to Micro Traxion internally, but never had Micro Traxion, only Ropeman.
 Robin Woodward 17 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I ended up getting a climbing technology Rollnlock for self/crevasse rescue and to protect the second when moving together after running out a full rope length on easy sport (to allow you to combine 2-3 pitches without belaying - if that's what you mean by moving together).

I ended up choosing this over a traxion or ropeman due to price, flexibility and because I preferred its teeth to the pointy traxion (which worry me they'll damage the sheath with regular use) or the deeper horizontal teeth of the ropeman (which I've heard can entirely cut a rope if loaded heavily). I like that you can use it on nylon slings too, although yet to use this in anger.
OP zimpara 17 Jul 2016
In reply to PPP:

Have you moved together on a ropeman?
 PPP 17 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Never tried to. I'm just an armchair climber now.
 tjoliver 17 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

For what it's worth, I'd recommend a simple tibloc. It's light, simple and does the job as well as any device. This is coming from someone who's unfortunately tested this in practice... Whilst moving together on a route, 60m of rope between us, I triggered a large rockfall which hit and seriously injured my partner. He was knocked off the face by the rockfall. He estimates he only fell 5m, probably due to there being little slack in the system. Much to our surprise and that of Chamonix's PGHM, the rope that we were using (a Beal 8.1mm ice line) showed barely any sign of damage. It took us a while to work out even where the tibloc had trapped the rope. Only a little bit of sheath damage. Just a sample of one, but thought it might be useful to inject some real world data into a thread like this.
 Timmd 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Robin Woodward:

It's the Ropeman verson 1 which has been found to cut a rope in half under certain circumstances, the Ropeman 2 doesn't have the same horizontal teeth.
 andrewmc 18 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> which traxion is the best

(non-specific answer about Traxions)
Micro is always the best Traxion unless you have a specific need for the extra size/strength of the Pro Traxion (which you don't), or the two-rope excitement of the Jag Traxion (which is basically for rescues).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...