UKC

Arran, Glen Sannox-Cir Mhor-Loch Tanna

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
camy13 18 Jul 2016
I've found lots of info for the walk up from Glen Sannox up to Cir Mhor but not much for going down the back towards Loch Tanna, has anyone got any helpful tips or easy routes for a beginner?
 Lucy Wallace 19 Jul 2016
In reply to camy13:
Hi Camy- by beginner do you mean novice hill walker? Or are you looking for beginner's climbing routes- if so, you won't find either in that area!

Loch Tanna is not easily accessed from that side- there are no paths, lots of boulders and a lot of rough ground. You can either stay high and contour around the head of Glen Iorsa, or descend in to the glen and cross the river. Both very hard going. The first option could involve some tricky navigation in bad vis, the second option potentially a full on river crossing. Both will be a huge adventure, but not recommended for a novice. Glen Iorsa is a massive wetland. Beautiful, long and horrible underfoot.

Much better would be to continue down towards Glen Rosa by taking the path from the col between Achir and Cir Mhor. Be aware that Cir Mhor is very steep on most sides- there have been accidents where folk have descended in the wrong direction in bad vis. Don't stray on to Achir unless you fancy some rock climbing.

If I've misunderstood your question and you are a beginner rock climber- the classic Souwester Slabs on the Glen Rosa face of Cir Mhor is a lovely V Diff, but its multi pitch so not ideal for a novice. Achir would be a good place to practice scrambling skills, but a rope and a few nuts are a good idea especially if the rock is wet.
Post edited at 12:43
 fmck 19 Jul 2016
In reply to camy13:

Don't drop into Glen Iorsa obviously. Skirt round onto Caisteal Abhail and drop down to where you minimise height loss at the head of Glen Iorsa. There is a spring near the path on Caisteal Abhail that's handy if needing water.It's pretty pathless from here but not really boggy. Loch Tanna is a nice camp spot but if the midges are bad you could opt for nearby Sail Chalmdale. Its a nice view point and you can camp on the summit. Don't know what your plans are from Loch Tanna but the easiest is to join the path down Catacol.
 Lucy Wallace 19 Jul 2016
In reply to fmck:

Not really boggy? I guess its all relative

I traversed from Caisteal Abhail to Loch Tanna last year as part of a trig point fundraiser for MRT. It was the toughest day in a 120km hike. Stunning, but suitable for a novice?

If keen to get up to Loch Tanna it is better accessed from Glen Catacol. Pretty straighforward that way.
 fmck 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Snoweider:

Auch. Its far tame from the likes of Galloway or Jura.

Even if you get lost you just keep walking and shortly you come to a road. That's what happened to the Guide book writer Alastair Walker after the first winter ascent of Cubic ridge ending up on the wrong side of Arran. To be fair it was white out at the time and they didn't bother with a compass.
I started camping and walking in these hills when I was 13, 1981. I think they are ideal for learning.( Apart from a wee over stay on the saddle one winter as young boys.) At one time we decided on the luxury of staying a night at Lochranza campsite to get cleaned up etc. They insisted on phoning our mums to make sure we weren't runaways! Told us we had to bring a letter from our parents next time so we didn't go back. Didn't really appreciate that they were only concerned at the time.

camy13 : I assume you are able to navigate or will be with someone who can?

Lucy Wallace 19 Jul 2016
In reply to fmck:

Aha, I'm not saying dont do it... just the OP asked for easy routes for a beginner.... ! From the little I know of your exploits, you are made of sterner stuff than the average 21st century novice hill walker....

Camy13: If you want easy, don't try and link Cir Mhor with Loch Tanna. If you want a wee adventure, crack on, with all the usual provisos about kit, route cards, map compass etc etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...