UKC

Car Hire in the Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevino47 19 Jul 2016

4 of us are planning a trip to the Dolomites in September and flying to Treviso. Has anyone any tips or info' about car hire either at the airport or nearby, and particularly with regards to insurance. I'm only familiar with car hire at Alicante and wondered if it was similar, where a very basic insurance covers little or nothing and you are encouraged to upgrade at a phenomenal cost. Thanks
Post edited at 20:26
 Nicola 20 Jul 2016
In reply to kevino47:

I used thrifty last week, booked through Ryanair. Not the cheapest, but the least hassle I've had in ages. I avoid goldcar now after all the extra costs thrown at us last time.
 Trangia 20 Jul 2016
In reply to kevino47:

I suggest you take out a separate annual excess insurance with a company like insurance4carhire. That way you will be covered and can decline any "add on" insurances the car hire people try to sell to you. It' also means that you will be covered regardless of how often you hire over the year, including in the UK. My premium this year for Worldwide cover (excuding USA) was £39.99. Insuring for just Europe is cheaper
 Jim 1003 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Some people are saying claiming from these Excess companies is very difficult...
 Trangia 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Not in my experience. I've been using Insurance4carhire for over 10 years and have had to make 4 claims, one where we failed to notice pre-exting damage on picking the car up and Goldcar charged us when we returned it, one for two burst tires when we hit a pothole, one when I backed into a tree stump in long grass in the African bush,and one for a replacement window when thieves broke into the car in Spain.

In every case they refunded us without quibble and have not raised the premium.

I can't speak too highly of them. You must, however retain all the paperwork to make the claim.
 blurty 20 Jul 2016
In reply to kevino47:

The local car hire company are Maggiore. They are utterly crap - avoid at all costs.
 Jim 1003 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Cheers for that, I'm using Questor, but heard differing reports...
OP kevino47 24 Jul 2016
In reply to kevino47:

Many thanks, everyone, for all the replies. I'll get working on the tips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...