UKC

Bolted easy climbs near Forest of Dean

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Krisk 20 Jul 2016
Hi,

I'm off to the Forest of Dean for the weekend. Can anyone suggest any places that have easy bolted climbs that I can do with my kids?

Thanks,
Kris
 d_b 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Krisk:

There's some stuff down at Ban-y-Gor. I don't think the easier routes are in the main lower wye valley guidebook, but you can download the supplement here:

http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/LWVPDS.pdf

divadsci 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Krisk:

Wyndcliffe quarry is filled with bolted routes of all ranges. Dries quick too.
 fred99 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Krisk:

It depends on the age of the kids.
There are a number of 3's, 3+'s and 4's at Tintern Quarry on 30 Foot Wall.
However there is with Tintern Quarry the caveat that helmets should be worn due to there being some loose rock.
30 Foot Wall isn't as bad as some other areas, but it still has some loose rock.
It also has the advantage that you can access the lower-offs from above, to put up top-ropes.
Mind you, it really does look like a moon-scape quarry.
Krisk 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Krisk:

Thanks All for the suggestions.
Kids are 10 and 13 and can get up to easy 5s indoors, so these sound great.

Thanks again,
Kris
 John_Hat 22 Jul 2016
In reply to fred99:
Unless the situation has *dramatically* improved since the last time I was there (a whole section of 30-foot wall fell off with my girlfriend attached to it) I would not reccomend Tintern to the OP as somewhere nice and friendly they can take their kids.

Quite apart from the sheer drops all over the place, I think the easiest thing to do here is directly quote the guidebook.

"The considerable number of bolted climbs described in this guide might give a mistaken impression to some that Tintern is a mecca for mid-grade sport climbing. For the uninitiated it must be clearly stated that the instability of the rock at Tintern places this crag at the distinctly 'adventure' end of the sport climbing spectrum. It is definitely NOT the crag for the inexperienced. In fact this is not the crag for people of a nervous disposition, the accident prone, the unlucky, the uninsured, those who are easily disheartened or anyone with loved ones."
Post edited at 17:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...