UKC

Berry Head access for non-climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy healey 20 Jul 2016
Once the bird ban's over I'm looking to get to Berry Head for White Rhino tea and a few others.

Hoping that my wife will come along to get some snaps of me looking heroic, like this White Rhino Tea (6c+)#photos.

I've only ever done Magical Mystery Tour before and there's no way she could have accessed that - is the White Rhino Tea area any easier for a non-climber to sit up high and take shots and sunbathe?

Also is it easy access for non-climbers further to the right (looking in from the sea) down what looks like a ledgy area? Would be great to take our inflatable kayak down for her but I have no idea if that's just a pipe-dream.

Thanks!
 Dan Arkle 20 Jul 2016
In reply to andy healey:

Its difficult ground and will be intimidating for non climbers.
There is a bad step to access WRT area.

Go to Berry head quarry area instead, very easy access and she can watch you flail on MC navigator from ten feet away.
OP andy healey 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Ok, thanks for the heads up
 Jon_Warner 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Agreed. It's a nasty step to White Rhino Tea that will badly hurt someone one day. Which is a shame because is has to be one of the safer DWS crags in Britain & it's super good.

My view would be to chuck a couple of bolts and a fixed line over it.

Until then agreed quarry is a good choice!!!

Tom Last 21 Jul 2016
In reply to andy healey:

I nearly fell down that gap, from memory my trousers snagged on something Improbable.
Agree a couple of bolts and a line would be a good idea here.
OP andy healey 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Tom Last: If someone could sort that out first weekend of August that'd be great...

(Caveat: I have no idea what local ethics might be involved in this)

tomrainbow 21 Jul 2016
In reply to andy healey:
If someone could provide something solid to drill into that would help!
 Tom Last 21 Jul 2016
In reply to tomrainbow:

Haha, fair one.
 Chris Ebbutt 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Tom Last:
Personally whilst more work initially, think it would be safer and more sustainable to cut a new access path through the scrub from the bird hide to bring you out on the far side of the bad step and avoid it all together, have done something similar at Daddyhole Upper this year to give safe, easy and quick access. Saying that I haven't actually surveyed a route and whether it would actually be possible. Agree with above comments about boltable rock, more likely to require ground stabilisation anchors at the point of the bad step.
Either way roll on 1 August, splash
Cheers Chris
 Chris Ebbutt 22 Jul 2016
In reply to andy healey:

Access to the base of the Red Walls area is via a relatively easy path, slight scramble at the bottom to get onto the platform but not dangerous. From here there is good access into the sea for swimming etc., but for DWS with good viewing access for non climbers then the routes east of Red Walls towards Berry Head are great fun some in Zawns where viewers can watch from only 6 ft behind you. Kafoozalem's guide on Red Peg is brilliant and there is no bird ban on this easterly section.
Hope all that's of use.
Chris
 Kafoozalem 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

Thanks for the plug Chris but one small correction. It is the Berry Head Coastguard East DWS guide downloadable from rustypeg.co.uk
OP andy healey 22 Jul 2016
In reply to andy healey:

Thanks Chris and Kaf - very useful info.

And I'm now a proud owner of the Coastguard East pdf - how exciting!!
 Chris Ebbutt 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Sorry about the wrong website address and thanks for correcting me Pete. Enjoy the water, in Torbay at the moment it is glorious in the sea.
Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...