UKC

Tricam size 6 - who owns one and where have you used it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 21 Jul 2016
I saw for the first time a number 6 (yellow) tricam on the top shelf of my local climbing shop the other day and wondered who on earth actually bought such a product and where it would get used. So I thought I'd ask. I'm sure there is route somewhere with a vital giant pocket that won't take a regular cam. The tricam fits a range of 73 to 105cm to save people Googling. The tape looked about an inch wide. Not the type of item to take on a route 'just in case' I thought.
 humptydumpty 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Covers the same as a #4 Camalot, roughly, but much lighter and cheaper. I think there's a #7 tricam as well. Generally won't give your thrutching as much confidence as the cam.
OP Mr. Lee 21 Jul 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Ah yes it was the number 7 that I saw. Both yellow. 92 to 140cm. Definitely wouldn't be taking that in hand luggage.
 Scarab9 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I presume you mean 'mm' not 'cm'. Had me very confused there for a minute
 SenzuBean 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Maybe its best used for winter climbing, the kind of conditions where you want to put something in a parallel or slightly flaring placement, but it's too icy for a cam and not going to take a hex?

While we're on the subject of tri-cams, I'd love for them to increase the passive strength of the little black one (the one smaller than the pink), or at the very least - give it the dyneema treatment.
Similar I don't get why they have two different tri-cam updates - there's the tri-cam evo, which gives you a 3rd placement option (akin to a sideways nut), and then the dyneema slung ones, which increase the strength somewhat. Why not combine both together? I'd buy a new set...
 Andrew Wilson 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hi Lee,
My mate Chris has one and he always tries to place it. Only in winter mind you. This is mainly so that I have to carry it I think.
Good for awkward corners or wide flared cracks where nothing else will do.

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...