UKC

Did crib goch today first scramble!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ben93 23 Jul 2016
I drove to pen-y-pass this morning to climb snowdon due to the weather being clear and dry I give crib goch a go and im so glad I did it was so enjoyable and the views were great. Beforehand ive only ever done the pyg track last november which was my first time in the mountains.

I found crib goch pretty easy and straightfoward if you look ahead and plan the easiest route while scrambling up. And the ridge was ok i could walk most of it on the top of the ridge only s few bits i held on.

The pinnacles were good to climb and i like all the scrambling to the top of snowdon after crib goch.

I think people do sometimes people make it sound worse than it is. Videos of it make it look 100 times scarier than it is.

I will try and put the photos up on this post some point soon
In reply to Ben93:

> The pinnacles were good to climb and i like all the scrambling to the top of snowdon after crib goch.

I think your missing a a few hills that you scrambled on before you got to Snowden
Ben93 24 Jul 2016
In reply to Name Changed 34:

Yeah thats the hills i meant when i said climbing up to snowdon. I found the steep drops on the scrambling after more scary but not to bad still
 aln 24 Jul 2016

> I think your missing a a few hills that you scrambled on before you got to Snowden

He didn't get to Snowden.
Ben93 24 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:
I did get to snowdon.
I need some food and a proper sit down at the trainstation/cafe at the top.
Post edited at 19:05
In reply to Ben93:
ben , as you were going up to Snowdon the railway on your Right it was just a walk, The hill you scrambled on before this, but after
Crib Goch , and the Crib Goch ridge.. Is Crib-y-Ddysgl it has a white Trig point on the top.

the link may place it on the map, but you can zoom to it

http://www.rowmaps.com/showmap.php?place=Capel%20Bangor&map=OS&lat=52.4027&...

Whats next??
Post edited at 22:08
 climbwhenready 24 Jul 2016
In reply to Ben93:

Well done, mate. Glad you had a blast.

Ignore the people being twunts.
 Darron 24 Jul 2016
In reply to Ben93:

I tell you Ben, I've been pathering round mountains for 45years but tonight I envy you. Traversing Crib Goch for the first time and feeling like you do now. Good luck to you mate.
 Jimbob11 24 Jul 2016
In reply to Ben93:

Awesome to see you had a great day. Love the enthusiasm. I echo the comments to ignore any crap from people!
 LJJ77 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Ben93:
Well done enjoy that buzz the first time is always the best a first winter crossing gives you that same feeling and lucky you getting the views on your first crossing i was lucky enough to have a fine day for my first time across
Post edited at 00:05
 Trangia 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Ben93:

Well done! I admire your enthusiasm.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Ben93:

Well done - makes a pleasant change from all the people who spend months asking advice and building it up into a massive epic rather than just going out and having a look!
 Mike Peacock 26 Jul 2016

If we're being pedantic surely that's just the name of the ridge, and Garnedd Ugain is the name of the summit.
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Thank you. And that was my point, not to be pedantry but to help the OP [who is novice] to understand some of the tops, summits, ridges, he passed over.

Ben93 26 Jul 2016
Im hoping to do the full horseshoe next time. Longs its not too windy for crib goch. I was just extremelly lucky with the weather for my first go.
 Pyreneenemec 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Darron:

> I tell you Ben, I've been pathering round mountains for 45years but tonight I envy you. Traversing Crib Goch for the first time and feeling like you do now. Good luck to you mate.

Yeah that warm feeling inside , just like after your first f***, but I digress !

I've been over Crib Goch more than 50 times ( often it was leading for H.F / C.H.A ). I had my worst mountain accident on the first steep slabs that are probably even smoother now than they were then ( 30 years ago). A silly bugger managed to slip and break his leg; helicopter took him off to Bangor hospital ! I'll never forget the year when a little Welsh man caused a load of bother because I could only take a group of 10 over Crib Goch. If I remember correctly there were 12 candidates and we had to draw for the places, in the end he changed his mind !
 Greenbanks 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Ben93:

Good on you mate! Forget 'Climb Britain" - climb Wales!!
 maxsmith 27 Jul 2016

Hi Ben, well done on your first scramble...I'll never forget my first crossing of crib goch - it was terrifying and inspiring in equal measure! Your account and obvious enthusiasm brings back good memories of that day ignore the pedant above
Post edited at 06:42
 Greenbanks 27 Jul 2016
In reply to maxsmith:

Not a case of pedantry. Genuinely pleased that somebody is out there getting a real thrill and sense of achievement (especially given that I'm locked in an office!)

The comment was really intended (clumsily it seems) in relation to the current furore regarding the change of the BMCs name...sorry if it irked you.
 Tony the Blade 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

I think the pedant reference was in relation to Name Changed 34's comment(s).

To the o/p... great fun reading your account. I look forward to the snaps.
In reply to Ben93:

Well done Ben - glad you had such a great day.

Earlier this summer, I walked the Snowdon Horseshole (starting and finishing at Pen Y Pass) for the first time. I found the whole route exhilarating but Crib Gogh was the most exciting section and had an added tingle of apprehension.

Greenbanks 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Point taken -I blame workload mire
((
 maxsmith 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

As above, I wasn't referring to you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...