UKC

Rope stretcher

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 01 Aug 2016
I'm sure we've all been on a route or an abseil where a couple more meters of rope would have been the difference between arriving safely at the next anchor. Is there any device on the market which will allow me to stretch my rope by 5% or so? That would be really handy to give the extra length for those times of need!
 Andy Nisbet 01 Aug 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

It happens all the time in winter. Just have an unwritten agreement with your partner that he takes out the belay. The extra rope from the knots is usually enough but he can always start up. Doesn't work for abseiling!
 Andy Say 01 Aug 2016

Buy a longer rope.
 Andy Say 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> It happens all the time in winter. Just have an unwritten agreement with your partner that he takes out the belay. The extra rope from the knots is usually enough but he can always start up. Doesn't work for abseiling!

Andy,

You took that query seriously!!! Kudos, man. My instant reaction was that this is a complete piss-take, akin to the VF lanyard as cow's tail thread. Particularly as there is another thread going called 'rope stretcher' dealing with the old technique for casualty carry.

Andy (yet another one)
Post edited at 14:52
 JJL 01 Aug 2016

Tow your car round with it for an afternoon
 Andy Nisbet 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

He may have meant it as a piss-take but it's actually true, even if he didn't realise it was. I climb a lot with Murphy.
 zimpara 01 Aug 2016

A simple solution often not thought of when the ab fever hits.

What you do is ab down 3/4 rope length, get a peice of gear for an upwards pull, rig a 3:1 pulley from it, and torque the rope for that extra 5 metres. Geniuses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...