UKC

Kalymnos this Autumn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 04 Aug 2016
Anyone been to Kalymnos recently and able to advise on whether the Syrian/Iraqi refugee crisis is having any adverse impact on the climbing locations. (I appreciate of course that it's having a major impact on the Syrians and Iraqis themselves which is rather more important in the global scheme of things).

Also I was surprised to find an absence of cheap flights to Kos (for Kalymnos) in October. Best price with EasyJet now £330 return.

Our first choice is Mallorca, but just a bit worried we might hit unreliable weather there in mid-October so looking at alternatives.

Many thanks

Martin
In reply to Martin Hore:

I was there in May and only saw four or five refugees hanging around Pothia where UNHCR had set up a couple of tents on the dockside. I'm there for a month in October so it's not put me off

Al
OP Martin Hore 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Thanks Al - that's useful info.

Martin
 Skyfall 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

Was there in late May, no problem at all.
 carl dawson 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Martin Hore:

To my knowledge, there has never been any problem with refugees who have arrived on Kalymnos. Ruth and I have been involved in the island's support group for the refugees and found them, without exception, to be friendly, courteous and grateful for the support being given. Also, the small refugee population has been located in the port of Pothia and therefore has had no impact of any kind on the climbing areas on the west coast of the island.
OP Martin Hore 05 Aug 2016
In reply to carl dawson:

Many thanks Carl, and much admiration for yourselves and others working with the refugee support groups.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...