UKC

Saddle sore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bellie 08 Aug 2016
I've just started on my MTB after a break. I'm no expert. I did a 28 mile trail round Kielder and had an achy backside by the end, even though it was just a basic trail.

I neglected to put my gel pad shorts on for a start.

Any advice on whether a different saddle would make all the difference, or a suspension seat post. My bike is a Voodoo Bantu, so no rear suspension. The saddle is better than many previous ones I have had on bikes. I'm not quite sure where to start to improve the ride.

Cheers.

MonkeyPuzzle 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

There are bits and bobs which could make small improvements in your comfort. Gel shorts I find give the most benefit, but really, unfortunately, the best thing to do is ride as much as you can and your arse will toughen up soon enough!
Bellie 08 Aug 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Big mistake not taking my shorts then. Guess I need to toughen up. At least I'm enjoying it! I'm not far from a couple of the 7 Stanes tracks, and I'm fortunate to have forest trails on my doorstep, so getting into the biking lark.
 balmybaldwin 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Best way to break in your arse is a decent pair of cycling shorts (don't go super cheap), some Chamois crème and lots of shorter rides - lengthening as you go.
 HIGHTOWER 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

If you've had a break then give it a few rides to get back used to it. I've had a few months away from my bike and the first few rides back were quite uncomfortable, but it's soon getting better.
 The Potato 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

yep regardless of what you wear it will be sore if you havent ridden in a while.
shorts will help, the 'right saddle' will help but you wont know untill youve ridden it for a while or tried a friends one what is the right shape for you. More padded doesnt mean more comfort, its more about the right shape saddle. For some a thin hard saddle is right, for others itll be one with a big hole or groove in the middle.
Saddle angle and height is also important, if your hips rock side to side when pedaling then its too high, try setting your saddle flat with a spirit level and making small adjustments after that as needed
Bellie 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

Sat in the saddle peddling up the inclines must have been the killer, rocking in the saddle too much. After a while I preferred my old skool method of sticking it in a high gear and standing up, to keep the pain level down!

Best grit my teeth and get practice rides in.

Thanks all for your replies.

Chris the Tall 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

You mention suspension seat-post. Not sure if you can still get them, but I had one about 15 years ago and it was a complete waste of money!

If you haven't ridden for a time then 28 miles is a big ride, especially without decent shorts. Keep up the regular rides and you'll soon stop worrying about your arse - if you're riding at Kielder it'll be the least of your worries once the midges come out to play !
Bellie 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Yes, my GFs bike has one, and I've seen them online, but wasn't sure how effective they would be for me. Thanks for the advice. One thing to cross of the list. To be fair the seat actually feels ok, so I'm going to work on toughening up and the actual peddling technique.

I think Pesda is on the money. I was probably rocking a lot in the saddle (when peddling up hill). It certainly felt like 28 miles! But I'm really enjoying being out there and liking my bike.
 Chris the Tall 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I almost always climb in the saddle on an MTB, even on a hardtail, as you lose too much traction otherwise. And on a full-suss you bounce too much. On the other hand you do use different muscles, or use muscles differently, so it's quite good for avoiding fatigue.
 The Potato 08 Aug 2016

And sometimes its handy to bob over trail obstacles when standing up on technical climbs
Rigid Raider 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Nobody has suggested trying a different saddle. As log as you're sure you've got the height, position fore and aft and angle right, the next change is to try a really comfortable saddle like a Charge Spoon or Fabric Line.

Wiggle's on brand dhb bib shorts are good value.
Bellie 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Cheers all.

Thanks for the tips on the saddle. I wouldnt know where to start on a new saddle so thanks for the pointers - reasonable price too. I'll see how I get on, and then maybe a trip to my LBS with me and my bike. Fortunately there is a nice little one near me.

MonkeyPuzzle 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Worth measuring your sit bones before looking at saddles, as you want one wider than your sit bones. I have wide sit bones at 154mm, so for instance the Charge Spoon isn't comfy for me and I'd have to order one of the wider fitting Fabric ones to be in with a chance.

You can measure them easily at home, if you don't mind feeling like a plonker. If you stick a flattened sheet of tinfoil on a carpeted step and then sit on it with your feet touching the ground as lightly as possible, then carefully stand up, your sit bones each leave an indent in the tinfoil. The distance between the deepest part of each indent is your sit bone width and you'll want a saddle at least as wide as this. Shape and cushioning will come down to riding style and personal taste.
 The Potato 09 Aug 2016
i tried this myself recently, measured three times in different ways, got two slightly different widths but fairly close and bought a saddle for that width, nope! went back to using a narrower saddle and thats been fine.

dont go throwing money at saddles untill youve tried getting the height and angle right. If you can id suggest getting a 2nd hand saddle or borrowing a friends one to try. For me the Charge spoon, wtb rocket or madison flux works fine but my ass and sitting position will be quite different to yours
Post edited at 09:31
Bellie 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

I think I have a bony arse anyway. Sat here in my office on my chair I can feel them bones. Might need my gel shorts just sat here : )

My first thought was I would need a wider saddle to aid comfort, and not a narrower one. So its good to be corrected. I Recall the old Raleigh advert "I was right about that saddle though"

Chris the Tall 09 Aug 2016

Tinfoil ? Corrugated cardboard shirley ! Good advice anyway
In reply to Bellie:
As a quick cheap fix until you decide what you want to change, I've found a gel saddle cover to be great. Just fitted over top of existing saddle and provides the cushioning. It does move a bit but provides more cushioning that cheap gel shorts/underwear. Mine cost about £11.

MonkeyPuzzle 09 Aug 2016

Tinfoil worked for me, but it has to be on carpeted stairs. I expect corrugated cardboard would work on a hard surface.
Rigid Raider 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

A padded saddle cover is a terrible suggestion I'm afraid; padding makes you hot and sweaty, which encourages fretting and bacterial growth and infection. It also allows your sit bones to sink into the saddle, transferring the weight to soft perineal tissue, again causing sweating and pressure pain.

No self-respecting cyclist would use a padded cover or even a heavily padded saddle; the best solution is to keep trying different heights, angles and fore-and-aft positions until you get the existing saddle right and failing that, buy a better shaped saddle. All of this with padded shorts, worn next to the skin. Again, thick spongey padding is a bad idea - my most comfortable shorts are some dhb 3/4 bibs I own, which have a pad that's thin and dense to prevent creasing.
 The Potato 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

agreed, dont waste any money on a padded saddle cover
 Jimbo C 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

After a break, I also get a really painful rear end. After a few rides, the tissue seems to get used to it.

It's worth seeking out an LBS that will measure you for a saddle. I bought a Selle Italia from my LBS who offer a 28 days replacement/refund if it wasn't right

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...