UKC

Best wet ghyll scrambles in lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 esoteric 12 Aug 2016
Any recommendations for wet ghyll scrambles, deep pools, jumps, scrambles etc etc. in lakes?
 Mark Eddy 12 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:

Yes, the Esk Gorge: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/blog/category/esk-gorge
Lingcove beck which is doable on the same trip as the Esk is really good too
petemcewen 12 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:

Get the Lakeland Scrambling Guides. They are full of first class ghylls to scramble up or descend.
 yorkshirebloke 12 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:

Freezebeck 8 pitches of wet scrambling great fun
 Brass Nipples 12 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:
There's a nice one that heads up to Crinkle crags, can't remember name of stream.
Post edited at 20:26
 kevin stephens 12 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:

Lorton Gulley on Grassmoor
In reply to Lion Bakes:
I think it is Browney or Brown Ghyll. I used to take groups up there and they insisted on singing "Brown Ghyll in the rain la de dah de dah"
 john1963 12 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:

Tilberthwaite Gill near Coniston often used by outdoor adventure companies is very good.
 Brass Nipples 12 Aug 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> I think it is Browney or Brown Ghyll. I used to take groups up there and they insisted on singing "Brown Ghyll in the rain la de dah de dah"

Ha ha
 nakedave 13 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:

Launchy Ghyll
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Lorton Gulley on Grassmoor

Not technically a ghyll scramble though it does tend to be rather wet most of the time.
 LakesWinter 15 Aug 2016
In reply to nakedave:

Is banned in summer.....

Esk Gorge is the best one I've done, although I've not done Sandbeds or Beckthorns Gill above Thirlmere - done most of the others though
 nakedave 15 Aug 2016
In reply to LakesWinter:

Didn't realise that, thanks
 Mike Peacock 15 Aug 2016
In reply to esoteric:

Church Beck at Coniston is short but quite fun, and afterwards you can do Levers Water Beck or Low Water Beck. I haven't done Low Water Beck but think it's more of an 'upwards' scramble (not so many pools) if that makes sense? And I've only done Levers Water Beck in high water levels which made it rather interesting, possibly not so good in drier weather.

Honister Gill from Seatoller is quite entertaining, ideal for an hour or so on a summer evening.

The Esk Gorge is the classic though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...