UKC

Tiagra groupset availability

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 23 Aug 2016
I've spent fruitless hours trying to track down somewhere I can buy a Tiagra 4703 (triple) groupset for a new bike for the missus. Does anyone know where I can get one? I've happened upon some .com websites which turn out to be in USA and am wondering if it's practicable to get one sent across from there.
Rigid Raider 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:
You can buy most of it from Ribble although they don't sell it as a package: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=tiagra

Wiggle has the whole set for £260: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-4700-10-speed-groupset/

Edit: oops, not triple though.
Post edited at 11:47
 nniff 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think they've been discontinued. However, if you get an 11 speed double 105 groupset, you'll get much the same gearing but with less faff.

A triple Tiagra with a 30 inner ring and 28 on the back give you 28.2 gear inches, and a 105 with a 34 inner and 32 rear gives 27.9

Have a look at Sheldon Brown's Gear calculator to work it out if you want

50/34 and 11-32 with a 172.5 crank currently £300 at Wiggle
OP Rog Wilko 23 Aug 2016
In reply to nniff:
Thanks for your reply - I hope you're wrong. Ribble list it, but they say currently out of stock. I personally regret the fashion for double chainsets for everything. I find my triple much more convenient, largely because I don't like the excessive difference between the rings which makes for uncomfortable cadence changes. Currently using a Stronglight 46-36-26 which is perfect but I can't find a suitable frame for the wife's new steed which will take such a small set. It's probably an age thing - you become less flexible on these matters. To me there are other advantages to a triple but I won't go on.
Post edited at 13:28
 nniff 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:
I think it's the groupsets that have been discontinued - you can still get the bits, but that's an expensive way to build up a bike.

I wouldn't disagree about the cadence changes, although my new groupset does a very neat job of changing both at the same time so that you don't get that.
Post edited at 13:47
OP Rog Wilko 23 Aug 2016
In reply to nniff:

Well, thanks for the heads up on the discontinuance. Could be why no-one seems to have one to sell! But the good news is that I have located one in an online bike shop in Germany, and it will be delivered free later this week! Costing a bit more than the price listed at Ribble, but still a lot less than buying it all separately.
Rigid Raider 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well done. I also like the triple on my tourer and winter bike because the gaps between the ratios are smaller but I wouldn't have a triple on the hooligan bike, that just wouldn't look right.
 Timmd 26 Aug 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> Well, thanks for the heads up on the discontinuance. Could be why no-one seems to have one to sell! But the good news is that I have located one in an online bike shop in Germany, and it will be delivered free later this week! Costing a bit more than the price listed at Ribble, but still a lot less than buying it all separately.

It's amazing how it gets to you, the urge to track bits down for a project. Apparently humans go through the same process as that which we used (would use) during hunting when looking for things online, we follow they same kinds of logical processes or ways of thinking.

I once had the name 'Campagnolo Daytona' pop into my head after searching high and low for some shiny silver 32 hole new hubs, and low and behold they popped up being for sale from a UK shop. Thanks - human DNA.
Post edited at 18:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...