UKC

Map apps for android?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 24 Aug 2016
What mapping apps are out there at the moment, and which ones are actually useful?

Haven't been had a play with android mapping for a few years and I'm especially interested in using my os digital maps. Never got on with the Memory Maps app
 Dan Arkle 24 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

AlpineQuest is good if you have the older qct os maps.
OP The Lemming 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Yep, I have the older maps.

Do I need to invest in newer digital maps?
 Shani 24 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Check out the OS Maps* app and also check out the VERY useful OS Locate.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-app-faq-android.html

*You can download maps if you buy the paper version.
Post edited at 19:29
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> AlpineQuest is good if you have the older qct os maps.

Is it possible to convert older qct maps to the newer version, what ever that may be?

Or do I have to invest more money in something that I purchased years ago and has now been artificially obsolete?
 Only a hill 24 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

All-In-One Offline Maps +. Hands-down the best Android app for OS mapping, allowing free access to offline maps. I have personally used it for hundreds of miles of hiking in Scotland and would trust it anywhere. I switched to this from ViewRanger because VR gets expensive quite fast.

Job done.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.psyberia.offlinemapsplus&...

(I believe this is essentially the same app as Alpine Quest, but it lets you download OS map tiles for free, which Alpine Quest doesn't seem to allow.)
In reply to Only a hill:

May I ask if it will play nicely with my old digital OS maps?

I loved MM Tracker but the company Memory Maps complained and had it removed from the Google Play store. Sadly MM Tracker is no longer compatible with the most recent Android operating systems.

Only a hill 24 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm afraid I have no idea, but it really doesn't matter – you can easily download fresh OS maps for the whole of the UK, for free, with this app.
In reply to Only a hill:

I shall check it out.

Cheers
 solostoke 24 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I use osmand. It is free and works offline with just gps and has always worked perfectly for me. For a couple of quid you can add contours to the maps and then it's pretty much all I've needed. You can add in gpx files and follow them etc, found it useful in a few ultra marathons at night before I got a gps watch.
In reply to The Lemming:
I like both Oruxmaps and RMaps. Both are completely free, no ads, and don't charge you for maps or nag you to buy maps. Both will download map tiles for offline viewing. Both let you choose the map source (I find OSM cycle best for navigating in the hills, but good old OS is an option). RMaps is very lightweight and ideal for what I want. Oruxmaps has all kinds of features that are really cool but normally overkill.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RMaps
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orux.oruxmaps&hl=en_GB
Post edited at 22:24
In reply to Only a hill:

> but it lets you download OS map tiles for free

It's likely that the OS will send the lawyers to pay tham a 'cease and desist' visit sometime soon.

OruxMaps (a one-man developer) used to be able to download OS map tiling from Bing, including hoovering up defined areas. Then the suits paid a visit. Bing must also have modified their tile server, because eventually even the old version of the app stopped being able to access Bing's OS mapping.

A great shame because I really like the app.
 Dan Arkle 24 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, AlpineQuest will work with your older os qct maps.

Only a hill 25 Aug 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> It's likely that the OS will send the lawyers to pay tham a 'cease and desist' visit sometime soon.

You'd think so, but the app has been up and running for years now with no issues. Maybe they're taking advantage of the Bing map tiles route via an up-to-date API, or maybe there's a legal loophole...
 Marek 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Only a hill:

> All-In-One Offline Maps +. Hands-down the best Android app for OS mapping, allowing free access to offline maps....

Hmm. Downloaded this last night, but there's no sign of OS maps. Hidden somewhere?

OP The Lemming 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Marek:

> Hmm. Downloaded this last night, but there's no sign of OS maps. Hidden somewhere?

I have some how managed to install one of my digital 1:50 maps. Have not got a clue how I did this. But I have not been able to replicate this with my 1:25 maps.

Its a very difficult app to get to grips with.

Good luck.
 Only a hill 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Marek:

You have to go into Available Maps > UK Maps (which comes up with OS GB). If it isn't already on the list then click the Add New Maps button and scroll until you find it. You can access pretty much any kind of digital mapping in existence.
 Only a hill 25 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

It's a straightforward app to use – far more intuitive than ViewRanger, I'd say! That said, I have never tried to install my own map files. As I said before, it's better just to download fresh offline tiles directly through the app.
 Marek 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Only a hill:

> You have to go into Available Maps > UK Maps (which comes up with OS GB). If it isn't already on the list then click the Add New Maps button and scroll until you find it. You can access pretty much any kind of digital mapping in existence.

Still struggling...
There's no 'UK Maps' under Available Maps - just Openstreet maps, Bing maps, Google maps and USGS maps.
Tried Add New Maps and yes, lots of free (community) maps there but no OS maps that I can find.
 Only a hill 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Marek:

It's a while since I added it on mine so I can't remember exactly which list it was in, but I think it was Local Community Maps. Once you add the map it appears in the list of maps on your device. Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuxlb02kmeeunsj/2016-08-25%2009.32.16.png?dl=0
 Marek 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Only a hill:

> It's a while since I added it on mine so I can't remember exactly which list it was in, but I think it was Local Community Maps. Once you add the map it appears in the list of maps on your device. Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuxlb02kmeeunsj/2016-08-25%2009.32.16.png?dl=0

Looked there, but there are no UK entries under Local Community Maps. I'm starting to think it's been blocked by the OS in recent versions.
 Only a hill 25 Aug 2016
In reply to Marek:

I'm running the latest version on my phone, and can still download new tiles just fine. I suppose there's a chance they may have removed the list entry for new users, though.
 James_Kendal 25 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

On Android, definitely try Maverick. It has many map types including OS, and allows you to save maps to view offline.
 Marek 25 Aug 2016
In reply to James_Kendal:

> On Android, definitely try Maverick. It has many map types including OS, and allows you to save maps to view offline.

That worked! Once I zoomed in enough.
Thanks.
In reply to Only a hill:

It does look like the OS mapping has been removed from All-In-One. As you say, it may only be a config file (that's how Orux initially removed it, and was then forced to add an active block in the program to prevent old config files being used; it actively blocks access to Bing now).

Now, if you were able to point me at the config file, and suggest what the OS source might look like, I could test that theory...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...