UKC

Diet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tom slaterrrr 07 Sep 2016
Hey. So what would be the perfect diet for a 16 year old (5,7)climber?

Would converting to vegetarian help? What kind of foods would you recommend for each meal and how often should i eat (how many meals). I have heard that many climbers eat up to 7 small meals a day? What kinds of foods should i be eating and how much of them? How many cals etc. Many thanks,
 leewil86 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Tom slaterrrr:

Donner kebabs and at your age deffinatley Pepsi ...larger when your eighteen.
 james1978 07 Sep 2016
In reply to leewil86:

Larger portions?
ultrabumbly 07 Sep 2016
> Hey. So what would be the perfect diet for a 16 year old (5,7)climber?

Extensive sports science research has shown that the best approach is to scoff whatever mum n dad serve up and raid the cupboard for lunch food/away food. Any "lunch money" should be stockpiled and spent on bus and train fares or , next level, chipping in for petrol upon finding someone who will adopt you as a belay bunny(first order of business is to flip that relationship but that is a different topic).

If well nourished at other times, you can survive quite happily on one packet of chocolate hobobs and one pint of milk per day for a couple of weeks.
Post edited at 23:36
 DerwentDiluted 08 Sep 2016
The only advice I could possibly offer, having no particular insight, and admittedly as a self confessed 'lardy punter' would be that at 16 you should eat 'normally', healthily and in a balanced way. If you start thinking that you can somehow eat your way to achieving your goals then to me it may open the Pandoras' box of a distorted relationship with food that could have long term effects.

If you are operating at a competitive level, and diet does genuinely come into play then seek advice from a proper sports nutritionist who can advise face to face, don't ask the heathens here! If not then just enjoy your climbing and your food without worrying overly about either.
Post edited at 08:35
 marsbar 08 Sep 2016

Just eat well, don't get obsessed with food.
 BarrySW19 08 Sep 2016

Apparently Don Whillans managed to climb quite well on a diet of beer and pies.
 Andy Hardy 08 Sep 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

Reading the Villain the other day, he was pretty abstemious to start with, which coincided with his peak rock climbing ability. He made up for this later, but by then his focus was on mountaineering rather than top level rock-jockery.
cap'nChino 08 Sep 2016

Limit your sugar in take and drink plenty of water.

Even at 30+ not eating loads of cakes, biscuits, chocolates and sweets works great at keeping the weight off.

Keeping hydrated is super important, wish someone had told me the value of that when I was an acne ridden teenager. 2+ Litres a day!! Seriously it will solve a lot of teenage woes including tiredness, bad skin and concentration.

Your 16 mate, enjoy it and don't worry too much about what you eat so long as youre active.
 Fredt 08 Sep 2016
Eat real food.

Avoid anything processed.
Post edited at 11:16
 RX-78 08 Sep 2016

well, my son is around your age, but not a climber, rather a runner (up to half marathon), he doesn't have 7 small meals a day, he only stops eating when asleep! He is vegetarian, but that was how he was brought up rather than deciding on it to improve his running. The only thing he takes care not to eat/drink too much of is soft drinks but will often drink water instead (he doesn't drink milk, tea or coffee, but never has). How many cals etc would probably depend on what other exercises you do to maintain core strength and aerobic fitness (like weights, running, cycling...)
 kipper12 08 Sep 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

I think the beer and pies diet (fags an optional extra) was beloved of sportsmen across this land in the post war years. It was only when the pesky continentals went all scientific on us that things changed
 subtle 08 Sep 2016
In reply to kipper12:

> I think the beer and pies diet (fags an optional extra) was beloved of sportsmen across this land in the post war years. It was only when the pesky continentals went all scientific on us that things changed

have things changed?
noticeably less smoking goes on but has the diet changed that significantly?
the overpriced eateries on offer at climbing walls aside, places like Greggs seem to be doing rather well
 leewil86 08 Sep 2016
In reply to james1978:

Yes larger portions of kebab should do the trick , I meant lager but hey ho hahah
 bpmclimb 09 Sep 2016
In reply to leewil86:

> Donner kebabs and at your age deffinatley Pepsi ...larger when your eighteen.

I'm something of a collector of alternative spellings of the word "definitely". I haven't seen your version before - so thanks!
 leewil86 11 Sep 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

No problem man I deffinotloi appreciate the reply.....(brummy version)
 Dandan 06 Oct 2016
In reply to JohnnieJones:

I'm not sure a 16 year old needs diet tips geared around selling an anti-cellulite product...
 doz 06 Oct 2016
16 to 21 I lived on custard creams and water....could eat a double barrel packet in ten minutes whilst cycling home no-handed.... though I did lose balance one time and swerve into a police car
 Dogwatch 06 Oct 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

> Apparently Don Whillans managed to climb quite well on a diet of beer and pies.

Possibly. Works in youth for many. Not so much later on.
 buzby 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Dogwatch:

> > Apparently Don Whillans managed to climb quite well on a diet of beer and pies.

> Possibly. Works in youth for many. Not so much later on.

yeah but he also used cigars instead of oxygen at altitude.
 springfall2008 13 Oct 2016
> Hey. So what would be the perfect diet for a 16 year old (5,7)climber?

> Would converting to vegetarian help? What kind of foods would you recommend for each meal and how often should i eat (how many meals). I have heard that many climbers eat up to 7 small meals a day? What kinds of foods should i be eating and how much of them? How many cals etc. Many thanks,

I think it depends where you are in your climbing, if you are competing at a national level then I'd recommend getting some advice from a professional.

If you are climbing for leisure or local competitions then eating a healthy diet should be enough. I don't think I have seen any evidence to show going vegetarian will help, it might even hinder you if you don't know how to cook balanced vegetarian meals.

Eating smaller meals more often is generally proven to be better for you, as long as they are healthy and it doesn't turn into an excuse to eat junk food as you are hungry and don't have anything to hand.

Calories are very much individual, listen to your body and see when you are hungry is likely to work much better in the long run than counting calories unless you are overweight.
Post edited at 19:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...