UKC

Big toe friendly climbing shoes II

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hamish-haynes 08 Sep 2016
Hi to all who were interested in the previous similarly titled topic. I have found a pair of shoes that work pretty well for me, coincidentally they're one of more affordable available and seem to offer good performance, on steep stuff or smeary stuff, at least at the level I can manage! It's worth bearing in mind that they may just particularly suit my foot shape, feeling very comfortable and snug. Overall they're quite asymmetric, on the face of it the sole shape is similar to other shoes that don't work for me, I think the reason is that the shape of the uppers don't force my big toe over, allowing it to extend straighter.
I have stuck a small pad on the inside next to the MT1 joint which just pushes my foot slightly towards the 'outside edge' and helps keep the big toe straighter, again the shape of the upper seems to allow for this. I've had them a couple of months and the problems I was having have been much reduced.
There is an underlying issue with limited big toe flexion, particularly on the left foot, which will not be resolved by choice of climbing shoes. I've seen a few people about this and adjustments to my walking/running shoe inserts and specific calf stretches/exercises seems to be helping.
'And the shoes are'..... Simond Edge's; http://www.decathlon.co.uk/edge-climbing-shoes-id_8346034.html?iv_=__iv_p_1...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...