UKC

Aldi again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rallymania 28 Sep 2016
There seems to be an "obsession" with reporting aldi bike clothes / stuff on here.

baaaaaa

there's more stuff available from tomorrow
 JamButty 28 Sep 2016
In reply to rallymania:

I was the like by the way.....I had seen it anyway but if you're careful what you get there's some great stuff.
Whats to dislike!!
 felt 28 Sep 2016
In reply to rallymania:

The only really good things I've ever got are socks, a dead-cheap Garmin and the bike stand. Otherwise it's pretty crap, tbh, badly fitting and designed by an 80s shell-suit aficionado.
 tjin 28 Sep 2016
In reply to felt:

I agrea on the badly fitting part. It's like they size the clothing to fat people who think they fit a size smaller...
 gethin_allen 28 Sep 2016
In reply to felt:

Totally agree. The gloves are also supposed to be OK but I have funny short fingers so they don't fit.
 malk 28 Sep 2016
In reply to rallymania:

when are they going to offer power meters?
 La benya 28 Sep 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

I bought some gloves and they're shite. I've got tiny little hands and the adult large was too small, and they've fallen apart.

I got a bike stand thats done supurbly for £15 though, so swings and roundabouts
 LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2016
In reply to felt:
> The only really good things I've ever got are socks, a dead-cheap Garmin and the bike stand. Otherwise it's pretty crap, tbh, badly fitting and designed by an 80s shell-suit aficionado.

The socks are indeed great and I also got some of the Muc-off chain lube last time.

I agree the last crop was pretty rubbish in size and fit (as such, I can't comment on the performance, as I haven't got any), but I've got one of their soft shell jackets from a few years ago, which fits me really well and is brilliant for commuting in the winter. Anything above 10C, though, and it's too warm and sweaty.

I pass an Aldi on my way to work, so will be down there tomorrow for some of the yellow arm warmers before they sell out of my size.

I'll also have a look at the yellow cycling jacket - if it fits, it might be better than my blue one for commuting.
Post edited at 16:25
 the sheep 28 Sep 2016
In reply to tjin:

> I agrea on the badly fitting part. It's like they size the clothing to fat people who think they fit a size smaller...

I really like their tops and trousers, then again im a fat bloke who thinks he is actually thinner than he is

deepsoup 28 Sep 2016
In reply to tjin:
> I agrea on the badly fitting part. It's like they size the clothing to fat people who think they fit a size smaller...

Based on pretty solid market research I'd say, looking around at the customers in my local shop.
 felt 28 Sep 2016
In reply to rallymania:

The Garmin 810 is at £179, I see. Would be nice, but do I really need anything more than the 200? I don't think so.
 Kimono 28 Sep 2016
In reply to rallymania:

good stuff i have got from Aldi:

a pair of women's arm warmers for a fiver that have done me well for the last 2 years....though one has started losing its elasticity of late
padded shorts....nearly 3 years of use and only now falling apart. A good fit!
gloves...cheap and good for a season
cleaning fluids and chain oil....muc-off products for about half the price

er, that's about it but not a bad haul if you're picky
 krikoman 29 Sep 2016
In reply to felt:

> The Garmin 810 is at £179, I see. Would be nice, but do I really need anything more than the 200? I don't think so.

Don't buy one then
 malk 29 Sep 2016
In reply to krikoman:

was thinking of the garmin edge for bike but i'd also want to use it for walking. is something like the etrex 20 more suitable?
 JohnnyW 30 Sep 2016
In reply to rallymania:

Well, I went down with low expectations, and came back with a load of GT85, MucOff etc, some socks, some over-shoes, and some cracking looking Merino base layers. They have signs on the kit saying the fit has been addressed, and the base layers seem very good. I just need to wash them sensibly this time!
There were some decent looking fluid TTs, relatively good quality-looking stirrup pumps and a huggin' of tops if you're after them.

I'm glad I went down
 blackcat 30 Sep 2016
In reply to felt: Totally agree,garbage,had a top from there crap fit ,poor material.

TobyA 30 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnnyW:

I bought the USB-rechargeable LED light set. They were on my bike for going to and back from work today (1 hr 50 minutes) on flashing mode, then once I got home I've left them on (non-flashing) and they done over another 2.5 hrs before they turned themselves off. Seem pretty impressive so far. Nice and bright and that was on the lower of the two settings.

Got some socks too! Both the synthetic ones and merino mix. I bought another pair of merino long johns - i thought my current favourite ones were Aldi, but maybe they were from Lidl because the aldi ones are a bit funny and come a bit too high up on the waist. But still, pretty good for 16 quid.
 felt 01 Oct 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, my grey merino vest, size L, nice material, comes about half way down my forearms, as if it were for a man-child.
 Dave the Rave 01 Oct 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Totally agree. The gloves are also supposed to be OK but I have funny short fingers so they don't fit.

They need to stock some six fingered ones around these parts.
Bingers 01 Oct 2016
In reply to rallymania:

Are the rollers any good or do they have a habit of falling apart?
 elsewhere 01 Oct 2016
In reply to TobyA:
Seen some people in daytime with lights that really stick out.

Are the aldi lights bright enough for daytime?
Post edited at 20:07
 TobyA 01 Oct 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

I think so. There are two different settings in both constant or flashing, and even on the lower settings I thoughtthe flashing mode was pretty noticeable.
 elsewhere 01 Oct 2016
In reply to rallymania:
The aldi winter jerseys have served me well for two winters of commuting.
 TobyA 01 Oct 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

The cheap pair. They seem really bright, so the pricey ones must be like the sun! Mine are plastic, the other aluminium so that might account for the price difference though.
 elsewhere 01 Oct 2016
In reply to TobyA:
Thanks!
 krikoman 02 Oct 2016
In reply to malk:

> was thinking of the garmin edge for bike but i'd also want to use it for walking. is something like the etrex 20 more suitable?

I got a Bryton Rider 50, and use it for all sorts of things, (except swimming - it's not water proof).

It works great but I got real bargain when I bought it, I don't really know much about other devices.

Bryton was a bit clunky with their software when it first came out but it's pretty good now and you can download to other apps, which was a struggle before.
 malk 03 Oct 2016
In reply to krikoman:

thanks- i'd want os maps but larger screen - need to do more research
went today for some cycling gear- almost got the metal/wood foot pump but have one, no cycling shoes, so ended up getting a wildlife camera
In reply to tjin:

Most 'quality' cycle clothing sizes seem to be worse than Decathlon; about two sizes smaller than their stated size. So if you bought your 'normal' cycling clothing size in Aldi, it would be about two sizes too big for you...
 malk 03 Oct 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

f*ck the cycling gear- get the field camera- best bargain ever for £35
Removed User 03 Oct 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:
The Italian stuff's the worst for that. I guess it's not made with the for the more rotund Northern European physique. ahem.
Post edited at 21:37
In reply to malk:

Field camera...?

I was in there today and didn't see any cameras.

Do you have a link?
In reply to Removed User:

Yes, it was Italian stuff I was thinking of. But their sizes are just 'wrong'; their upper body sizes are two sizes too small, ignoring any MAMIL lower body fat. Are Italians small, or do their menswear sizes start at 12 years old...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...