UKC

An Socach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 el diablo 29 Sep 2016
It appears that I am nearing completion of the list, and still need to climb An Socach and An Riabhachan north of the west end of loch Mullardoch. My old Munros book talks of getting permission to drive up glen Elchaig, is this still possible or am I biking all the way in? Any other info welcome. Cheers.
Jd
 kwoods 29 Sep 2016
In reply to el diablo:

I believe almost certainly not anymore (though haven't been up Glen Elchaig myself).

Biking in from Killilan, or a shorter (but too rough for the bike?) approach from Camas-luinie.
 Mark Bull 29 Sep 2016
In reply to el diablo:
I'm pretty sure you can't get permission to drive now: you need to bike it from Killilan, but it's a good track as far as Iron Lodge. Another option is the Loch Mullardoch boat, but services have finished for this year http://www.lochmullardochferry.co.uk/
Post edited at 20:13
 Mark Bull 29 Sep 2016
In reply to kwoods:

Just beat me to it! Starting from Camus-luinie is only worthwhile if you're on foot.
 malky_c 29 Sep 2016
In reply to el diablo:

Uncommon but it has been done in the last few years:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...

Looks like it will take more than a quick phone call though.
In reply to el diablo:
I've always combined An Riabhachan and An Socach from Strathfarrar. You can drive as far as the power station in Glen Innis an Loichel. and follow the track initially by the Uisge Misgeach Last did this in summer 2015. Took me about 7 hours. Remember "winter opening" of Strathfarrar starts in October(not sure the specific date) when you have to get the gate key-code by phoning the MCof S(Now Mountaineering Scotland) office.
The Glen Elchaig cycle is about 9 miles to Iron Lodge. It's a good road- mainly downhill coming back. Even with a bike it would take as least as long as the Strathfarrar approach.

In reply to Mark Bull:

second the boat option- I did it in may, a great experience- and the walk from an socach back along the ridge over sgurr na lapaich is one of the best days hillwalking that I've had anywhere.
 Captain Solo 29 Sep 2016
In reply to el diablo:

Will second biking from killilan as track is more bike friendly.
Another option is coming in from the east. The last time I was up these hills I was able to drive right up Glen strathfarrar over the monar dam to the power station. I live in Inverness so it was obviously handier for me.
You do have the added hassle of organising access with mcofs for locked gate at foot of Glen though.
 Dave Hewitt 29 Sep 2016
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

> I've always combined An Riabhachan and An Socach from Strathfarrar. You can drive as far as the power station in Glen Innis an Loichel

Beat me to it - was about to suggest this as well. I've not climbed either hill from there (only time I've climbed An Socach involved walking from the border!) but was once at the Monar dam (prior to heading for Maoile Lunndaidh and An Sidhean in a boat which broke down mid-loch) and chatted with a man (possibly even yourself or Captain Solo - this was 3 May 2007) who was heading further up the hydro road to climb those hills.

The other benefit of this is that it then opens up options for leaving the Mullardoch ridge by one of the side spurs rather than feeling obliged to go right along and then return along the length of the shore. I've come down the SE flank of An Riabhachan which was fine, and a S then E route off Sgurr na Lapaich looks good too. An Riabhachan is a tremendous hill, underrated, with a lovely summit ridge.

Captain Solo 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Wasn't me on that occasion, I was there in Oct 2010. I seem to remember there was a reasonable path so far and a bit of contouring round to the curving ridge coming North off the summit of an socath. Obvious descents from an riabhachan to pick up the path by loch mor. I had the big slog back up to Sgurr na lapaich on that occasion as it was part of the plan that day.
 Siward 30 Sep 2016
In reply to el diablo:

I pushbiked up to iron lodge which also gives you good options on those cheeky Munros attached to Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan.

It's not so much fun if your rear derailleur snaps right in two as soon as you start the return leg though- long walk.
 Simon Caldwell 30 Sep 2016
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

> I've always combined An Riabhachan and An Socach from Strathfarrar. You can drive as far as the power station in Glen Innis an Loichel. and follow the track initially by the Uisge Misgeach

We went in from this side, though cycled rather than drove and made a long weekend of it, taking all the tops as well and staying at maol-buidhe bothy before returning via Lurg Mhor and the one next to it with the long name I can never remember. We meant to start by crossing at Inchvuilt, but the marked bridge is long gone, and the river was in spate so we couldn't cross and ended up cycling to the power station.
 Iain Thow 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Hi Dave, did An Riabhachan and An Socach from the Innis an Loichel power station a couple of months ago. Road almost always open to there in summer and MC of S has access arrangements for the rest of the year. Good path up to Loch Mor corrie, then up N ridge of Riabhachan (nice easy scramble available if wanted). Return from An Socach down the nice curving ridge mentioned earlier, then easy descending traverse to the col below Meall Daimh. Went over the latter but could easily have just joined the track. Fairly easy day out really, I've done them from Both Killilan and Mullardoch Dam before and the Farrar approach is way easier.
 Pbob 30 Sep 2016
In reply to el diablo:

Third the Mullardoch Ferry. Did it May this year. Excellent spot for wild camping at the end of the loch. Take a camera!
 Dave Hewitt 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Hi Dave, did An Riabhachan and An Socach from the Innis an Loichel power station a couple of months ago. Road almost always open to there in summer and MC of S has access arrangements for the rest of the year. Good path up to Loch Mor corrie, then up N ridge of Riabhachan (nice easy scramble available if wanted). Return from An Socach down the nice curving ridge

Thanks Iain, nice to hear from you. That route sounds good, especially the path into the corrie - must give it a go sometime (although given that I'm currently on a run of 307 consecutive Munros south of the Great Glen it might take a while...).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...