UKC

Walk into Craig Cowarch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 swmackey 01 Oct 2016
Hi all,

Looking at ticking off some Ken Wilson routes. Apparently Craig Cowarch is a bugger to walk into. Does anyone have any experience of this crag and how long it will realistically take?

Cheers!
 Dave Williams 01 Oct 2016
In reply to swmackey:
I'm sorry to say but you're very much mistaken re. the walk-in.

I presume you're intending to do Will o' the Wisp. Craig Cywarch is a huge cliff but the climb is on Tap y Graig buttress, the obvious clean triangular buttress which is easily seen as it's directly above the car park. The approach past Blaen Cywarch farm is slightly circuitous but shouldn't take more than 30 mins - although the point where you leave the horizontal(ish) traverse path directly above the conifer plantation to ascend to the base of the buttress can be missed if it's obscured by bracken. If you go too far then you'll just have to make a more direct approach for the final 5-10 mins.

Detailed approach notes can be found in the CC Meirionnydd guide.
Post edited at 14:40
 Shone 01 Oct 2016
In reply to swmackey:

The whole place is a beautiful valley, enjoy the approach! Red Lion good for a beer too.
 Paul Hy 01 Oct 2016
In reply to swmackey:
Hi, the Mountain Club, Stafford who owns the Hut (Bryn Hafod) below the crag are in the process of cleaning some of the routes and creating a mini-guide. The accent route as per the Meirrionydd guide is good but we think the preferred route for Will o'the Wisp is via the lower track passing below Esgair Felen Isaf to half way between the plantations then strike up a small scree slope(cairn) then follow gully leftwards then right below the crag for about 20mtrs then double back up and left just past the big boulder. There are other starred routes as well which are in the mini-guide. If you would like a copy msg me your email address.
Post edited at 23:23
 Big Ger 02 Oct 2016
In reply to swmackey:

One does not simply walk into Craig Cowarch!
 wilkesley 02 Oct 2016
In reply to swmackey:

Please make sure that you use the car park on the left just before the farm. I haven't got the latest guide, but assume that it tells you to use the car park. The car park didn't exist when my very ancient guide was printed. There is a contribution box, which I think is for the Air Ambulance.

If you can climb around VS, Acheron is well worth doing.
OP swmackey 02 Oct 2016
In reply to swmackey:

Thanks. I'll get planning and get on it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...