UKC

Redbull Rampage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SC 14 Oct 2016
I've just watched Rampage. Incredible riding, serious commitment on some of those lines and riders with cubes like water melons.
Shame that they didn't show the two British riders, Brendon Fairclough and Sam Reynolds.
It makes me want to head out to Utah and ride.
There's something wrong when roadies moan that disc brakes might be dangerous while these riders are happy to ride 30 foot drops while getting paid a tiny fraction of a pro roadies wage.
 gethin_allen 14 Oct 2016
In reply to SC:

But you wouldn't catch one of these blokes doing 60 mph down a mountain road in lycra or suffering a 200 mile day.
It's all horses for courses.

If you like this kind of stuff you should have a look on youtube for Josh Bender (no I'm not pulling your leg) he never landed anything but he was thoroughly entertaining in a sadistic sort of way. He had a custom karpiel bike with 12 inch Super monster T forks and a double rear shock setup.
OP SC 15 Oct 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Josh Bender landed quite a lot of huge stuff, everyone just remembers the crashes!
I had a Karpiel Disco Volante. It was awful, weighed a ton and didn't want to steer.
A lot of these riders use road bikes to train for fitness. They might look like a bunch of hillbillys but they're serious athletes these days.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Oct 2016
In reply to SC:

What're cubes like watermelons?
OP SC 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Particularly large plums.
 Bulls Crack 15 Oct 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

'Masculine' hyperbole or hyperballs...:-P
 ChrisJD 15 Oct 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Not another'it was better in the old days' again!

Josh Bender is now one of the judges on Rampage.

He says it is now at the level he was aspiring to all those years back, this is what he envisaged free ride to be about.

Interview with him about it:

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331822647024/red-bull-rampage-in...
 gethin_allen 15 Oct 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Not another'it was better in the old days' again!

Not at all, I was commenting about how Bender never seemed to land anything. I'd call that worse in the old days. Although I did like his bike purely for how ridiculous it was.

ChrisJD 15 Oct 2016
In reply to SC:

This gives great feel of it. And Claudio is a no slouch!

youtube.com/watch?v=7ASfY0G6B8Q&
 Tallie 24 Oct 2016
In reply to SC:

This explains why Brendan Fairclough (Brendog) wasn't riding the actual event:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL81VqahuTA/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...