UKC

ML Training or Not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Humm 4395 16 Oct 2016
Hi, I completed the ML Training at PYB about 15 years ago. I have just passed the hill and moorland leader assessment with them and am an active climbing / walker. My DLOG has around 60 QMD's. I wondering if the 2 day ML refresher would be more appropriate than undertaking the full training again before assessment in about 12 months time.
There is considerable cross over between the HML and ML Syllabus. Has anyone done the two day refresher? If so did you find it worthwhile?.

Thanks for any advice.
In reply to Steve Humm 4395:
Hi,

A 2 day refresher sounds like it could work for you. There is no set syllabus for such a course and many people can run one/advertise them. Just make sure that the person running it is a current ML Director or at least works on ML courses so is up to date with the current thinking. Things have changed since your training.

Navigation standard between ML and HML is the same just in different terrain.

Anyway, with a name such as Mountain Jedi I would expect you to have no issues at assessment

Gwilym
Post edited at 16:59
 Mark Haward 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Steve Humm 4395:

Hi,

It was a twenty year gap between my initial ML training and assessment, I found the refresher very useful.
I would also recommend getting more QMDs logged in different areas,

Mark
Steve Humm 4395 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Mark Haward:

Thanks for the replies, I'll be doing the refresher and assessment at PYB. My DLOG has days from the lakes, snowdonia, the peak, Cairngorms, Ben Nevis areas, Creag Meggy, Skye and torridon so shows a good spread of experience.
The fact is I'm an experienced recreational climber / mountaineer but need to make the step to instructor, I'm quite happy having an epic with my mates but not with strangers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...